2000 Tahoe ongoing brake issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

famv5

Reaction score
I really need to get some professional advice regarding my Tahoe. Here's a little background on the situation.

I lived in Pennsylvania for eight years which apparently really did a number on my car. A year ago, my brakes went out and I was told that all of the soft brake lines needed to be replaced due to corrosion. Fine. I had them replaced. That brings me to today. A month ago, I lost my brakes AGAIN, thankfully, while I was parking in my garage. Apparently, one of the hard brake lines broke due to corrosion. I just had all of the hard brake lines replaced to the tune of $1600. The repair shop told me that there was a lot of rust underneath the car and apparently when they took the fuel tank down to replace the brake lines that ran over it, the fuel lines broke, too.

I picked up the car and on my way home I noticed the brake light icon was lite up on the dashboard. That had never been that way before. I immediately called the shop and they said "Oh, your master cylinder will need to be replaced. The sensor is bad and not reading the brake fluid level correctly. But, don't worry, you have plenty of fluid in there." What??? Why didn't they tell me this WHEN the car was in for repair? They said that the car is safe to drive but it will need to be fixed before the state inspection comes up in June in order for it to pass. Sigh.

How should I handle this next? I really do not want to go back to this shop because I feel like they've messed things up and have zero communication.

I use this car to take my kids to different places and run errands and I am afraid that the brake light might mean something more serious. I took the car out for the first time a few days ago and noticed something dripping from the rear of the car. It was a very cold morning and there was moisture coming from the tailpipe which I know is normal. That eventually stopped, however, there was a continuous drip coming from just in front of the rear passenger tire. I used a paper towel to catch the liquid dripping and it has no color and no scent. What could that be? It looks like it's coming from some sort of small steel box thing in front of the passenger rear tire. I'm assuming it's not gas since I would think you would smell that pretty strongly.

I'm still very nervous to drive the car. I'm going to need it a lot this next coming week so any reassurance that the car is safe to drive would be great...haha...although, I know that can't be done sight unseen.

Does the bad sensor on the master cylinder sound like that would be a reason for the light to be on? Is that something that I can replace or at least check to make sure it's well connected?

Thanks SO much for any and all advice. I want a better idea of what might be going on. I can't afford to continue pumping money into this car, especially if not needed.