2000 yukon erratic idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kingkon

Reaction score
hello to all. I am new to this forum and this is my last stop to find info on a problem I am having. My 2000 yukon (new body style) has a problem with the idle. Mainly when the ac is on the idle goes up and down as the compressor kicks on and off. It also does it when thier is nothing on. I was told by the dealership numerous times it was the fuel injectors. I have had them cleaned several times no help. If thier is anyone with this problem and knows how to fix it would be a great help.
thanks in advance

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try getting yourself some throttle body cleaner spray (Seafoam makes a product called "Deep Creep") and clean out the throttle body at the flapper and all around it, then also get some cleaner spray for your Mass Airflow Sensor (located between your airfilter and air tube going to the engine)(also the spray must be for your MAF, anything else might damage it). Try those, both help me greatly with my idling problem and also made my truck run better as well.

kingkon

Reaction score
Try getting yourself some throttle body cleaner spray (Seafoam makes a product called "Deep Creep") and clean out the throttle body at the flapper and all around it, then also get some cleaner spray for your Mass Airflow Sensor (located between your airfilter and air tube going to the engine)(also the spray must be for your MAF, anything else might damage it). Try those, both help me greatly with my idling problem and also made my truck run better as well.
will try it today. Thanks

kingkon

Reaction score
I want to thank you for the heads up on the Seafoam products. I did the treatment this weekend and it is a miracle. The erratic idle is gone and the yukon runs nice and smoothe now. It is amazing that the dealer changed a bunch of parts (thankfully under warranty) and could not find the problem and a simple 6$ bottle of seafoam took care of the problem. Thanks again!!!!

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No problem man, I was not sure about doing it myself but finally broke down and did it, helped me out a ton on my idling problem!!

nephite1978

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What cleaner would you recommend for cleaning the MAF sensor? Also, is it easy to unhook? Just a few wires/connectors?

Mr45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine did the same, and cleaning the Throttle Body did the trick too.

Yuke2K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just did the seafoam thing in my 2000 Yukon SLE too, along with a pretty thorough throttle body cleaning with Deep Creep. Man, that stuff is great. I used the PCV line to suck a little less than half of the seafoam in, then dumped the rest into the crankcase and added an additional bottle to the fuel tank. My truck smoked pretty good for about 4 minutes or so, but after that it was done. Initially I didn't notice all that much difference...but today, holy hell, you can REALLY feel it once you get into the pedal a bit - the low end really got restored on my 5.3!

I'm going to run another can through next week, just to make sure that all the carbon I loosened up in the throttle body gets removed.

kingkon

Reaction score
What cleaner would you recommend for cleaning the MAF sensor? Also, is it easy to unhook? Just a few wires/connectors?

I cleaned the throttle body with the seafoam "deep creep" . It removed tons of soot from the tb. I did not touch the maf sensor and everything worked awesome.
Good Luck

Yuke2K

Full Access Member
Reaction score

What kingkon said. Unless you are having issues specifically related to the MAF sensor, I would NOT mess with it. The little wires running across the inside are extremely fragile and easy to screw up, which would cause you all sorts of headaches.

kingkon

Reaction score
What kingkon said. Unless you are having issues specifically related to the MAF sensor, I would NOT mess with it. The little wires running across the inside are extremely fragile and easy to screw up, which would cause you all sorts of headaches.
Also thier is a specefic cleaner for MAF sensors so if you want to go that route good luck.

nephite1978

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Oh, okay. I thought that maybe I should clean it when I change the air filter. Good thing you said something! Thanks.

Yuke2K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, okay. I thought that maybe I should clean it when I change the air filter. Good thing you said something! Thanks.

Nah, the MAF is pretty much good to go until you start getting CELs relating to it, which rarely happens if you change your filter at the recommended intervals. Sure you can check it, but unless it's obviously REALLY filthy, I wouldn't touch it until it starts throwing codes, if ever. My truck is 8 years old and the MAF looks new still. You're probably good to go for a long time! :thumbsup:

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I cleaned out the MAF in both my Jetta and Denali, it made a noticable difference in the Jetta (50,000 of my own miles) and a little in the Denali (100,000 miles). Can't hurt as long as you use the right stuff, as per directions, both of mine didn't look dirty till I sprayed them, they were dirty!!