2001 Chevy Suburban issue this is weird...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scstables

Reaction score
I have had several chevrolet tahoes since 1998. Due to the economy crash, we lost our 2005 chevy tahoe. In 2014 we bought a 2001 Chevy suburban. It now has 204000 miles on it, and it has started acting weird. First we thought it was the battery, so we bought a new one. Put that in. Well when I would try to start it, the lights would flicker, and the starter would go slow, then pick up then it would start (not an easy task). It would start and run okay. It did this several times so one of my husband's friends said he thought it was the alternator. So they put a new one in. It made problems worse so much worse that it wont idle very well and the exhaust smells horribly of gas. One of the guys says it is "over charging". So now what? I don't think it was the alternator to begin with. In all my years of tahoes I have never seen anything like this. Any one know what is up with this? Thanks.

scstables

Reaction score
I may not be much help, but check out Autozones website, they have some helpful tools. If the link doesn't work, just google Autozone online troubleshooting, and it should bring it up. Hope this helps!
https://www.autozone.com/repairinfo...e=troubleShooting&leftNavPage=troubleShooting

Thank you. I will check it out. The truck is going to the garage on Wednesday. I can get it started but it's difficult. In the beginning its as if the starter does not want to turn. Then you wait 30 seconds and try again. It will move a little. Then you wait another 20 seconds try again and the starter moves even more. You repeat until truck starts. LOL!!

Chevylicious002

Reaction score
With ours, we would try to start it & it would turn over but wouldn't start, sounded like it was out of gas. So my husband changed the fuel filter, it started. Kept getting clogged somehow. Then it got to where he had to bang on the fuel tank before it would start. So put in a new pump & works great now lol.

Sent from my LML713DL using Tapatalk

scstables

Reaction score
With ours, we would try to start it & it would turn over but wouldn't start, sounded like it was out of gas. So my husband changed the fuel filter, it started. Kept getting clogged somehow. Then it got to where he had to bang on the fuel tank before it would start. So put in a new pump & works great now lol.

Sent from my LML713DL using Tapatalk

Good to hear you figured it out. My 1988 dodge daytona had the fuel filter issue 7 years ago. Replaced the filter which is located in a weird place and that fixed the issue. As to the Suburban, before it goes to the garage, we will put a starter in it (we have a friend mechanic we use sometimes saves us some money). The friend mechanic took a look today and said its the starter as it drags and the symptoms fit. So we will see what happens (if new starter fixes it). :waytogo: