2001 Tahoe 5.3ltr using oil 120k miles?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gator68

Reaction score
I curious how many out there have this problem? I have a 2001 Tahoe with 120k on it and I am losing about a quart of oil between changes. The funny thing is I see no smoke at all and I have no leaks that I can see. I think this is pretty common with the engine around this yr because my father in law had a 2002 suburban with the same engine and it went through 8 quarts on a trip out west from Fl, also, my wife's uncle had a suburban, again, same engine, and his used oil also, since it was brand new! I think his was a 2004 though. Both of them got rid of the vehicles because of this problem. I do not want to get rid of mine, I want to find out the problem and fix it, I just got this vehicle last yr and totally love it. Any input and/or suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.

PS:Other than the oil loss this engine runs great, oil pressure is above 60 and idle is smooth.

shadow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how often do you change your oil? How many miles for 1 qt used?

flastud904

Reaction score
Hey gator,
I sometimes get that problem too. I have over 220 thousand on my 01 vehicle and it still runs great. it mostly happens to me, when the weather has changed. its its warm one day, and then its cold the next, i get the check engine oil level screen display. the first i just added another quart, the next time i just waited and it went away and never came back, of course i still check the oil level after it has set just to be sure. Other than that I dont know either, I would like to know, but Im not going to stress it since the vehicle is still in mint condition