2001 Tahoe Z71 - yet another Gauge Issue!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MSAREV

Reaction score
Help!! newbie here - first post - So here goes.
First & foremost - Thank you. The depth of information & Knowledge is awesome!! And Yes I have been using the search funtion to try and find my exact problem on my Tahoe - no dice so far.
2001 Tahoe Z71 - almost 164,000 miles on it now - owned it since it had @80,000 - it's been one of my best Chevy's so far. Just this past weekend - the Gauges started going "haywire" to say the least!!! Basically all the gauges, the DIC and the gear indicator flicker with every bump in the road and eventually they go dead(Michigan Roads!).....flickering every once in a while.Turn signal indicators and the lights for the gauges still work...so i'm confused. I pulled dash apart last night - removed Gauge cluster, checked all the fuse boxes & fuses...tried to find any rubbing or pinched wires - nothing so far. With it flickering with every bump in the road....it's gotta be somewhere!!!! Oh, and of course with this stuff not working, the cruise control isn't working now either. Just wondering if anyone has had this problem or issue before ??? As all vehicles have thier issues or Quirks...just looking for help before i dive in and pull everything apart. I am aware of all the gauge cluster issues on the 2003-2006's...and it doesn't seem to be the same to me....

MSAREV

Reaction score
I forgot to mention....that after it sits overnight - the next morning, get in and start up - everything works. Till i start down our wonderfull Michigan paved roads (plus we have high taxes??) - then flicker,flicker...out - back on . . . flicker then back off. I don't think the problem is in the gauge cluster itself, but somewhere else down the wiring - that sounds like fun. :naughty:

samotahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds like a bad ground somewhere. i would check wiring and worst case scenario ur going to need a new cluster

MSAREV

Reaction score
Thanks Samo.....i think i've got issues under the Power Dist. box....plus i did find a bad ground also. I just took full coverage insurance off of it - got the summer car out, so i have some time to "tinker" with it.
I'll keep ya posted when i find the exact issues...

Jpage7117

Reaction score
Idk if you have fixed this issue yet but I had the same issue it was a ground straight down on the firewall in the center my gauges did the same thing fixed the ground and the problem went away

MSAREV

Reaction score
Yesterday i did find a ground wire damaged and broken off on the drivers side of the firewall from a smaller wiring harness - i repaired the ground, charged the battery and started it up and it seems ok, yet i take the insurance off from it in the summer (winter vehicle ) so i haven't taken down the road to see if that fixed it or not??? I sure hope thats it - thanks for the sugggestion - anywhere in paticular you had to fix your harness?