2003 Tahoe ABS Problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

undertakerman

Reaction score
My lovely wife has a 2003 Tahoe 5.3L Engine 2wd Auto Trans with Power Steering, Power Brakes, A/C, Radio CD player and Power everything else. It has 170,000+/- miles on it. She bought the Tahoe new in 2003 and we have had no problems until now. Just regular maintenance, oil, filter etc. new brakes, Rotors turned, water pump, belt, tune ups, alternator and tires etc. Just regular maintenance. We are having problems now with the ABS system. First the ABS light came on and wouldn't go off. I checked the fuse box under the hood and found that the 60 amp ABS fuse was blown. I replaced the fuse and the light went off and that was about this time last year. But just a couple of days ago the ABS light came on and stayed on for about 15-20 minutes and would then go off. Day before yesterday the ASB light and BRAKE light both came on along with a chiming sound and the lamp area above the steering wheel read "SERVICE BRAKE SYSTEM". Is this something I can do, if so please instruction me as to how to do it or do I need to take it to a dealer. Also has anyone ever heard of a rear stabilizer bar breaking in to? :confused: Well this one did and I just replaced it. Please advice.

whip

Reaction score
You might try and use an OBD/ABS scanner. It should give you a code which should point you in the right direction.

Some auto part stores have scanners and will let you use it for a small fee or even free.

I bought my own scanner from Harbor Freight and it worked and told me what code my Tahoe had thrown. I don't know how long it is going to last but it worked at least once and probably paid for itself by not needing to take the truck in to the shop.

undertakerman

Reaction score
OBD/ABS Scanner

Hey Whip. Thanks for the information. I will check out Harbor Freight concerning a OBD/ABS scanner and see what it tells me.:peace::peace::peace:

Metaldrgn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just an OBDII reader won't pull ABS codes. Does the brake light come on too? If it does you probably have a bad ABS module. If not one of your wheel sensors or wiring is probably bad. The dealer can read ABS codes but they charge quite a bit. I found sheared wiring on mine but I bought it with the problem.