2003 Tahoe Transmission Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChevyChick

Reaction score
Hi. I am a newbie and glad I found this site.

We have an 03 Tahoe with about 190K miles on it. We tow a trailer about once or twice every other month and sometimes carry heavy loads.

Lately, it seems like the transmission is slipping. When we put it in drive, it's like it's not ready. We were at a red light, and when the light turned green, we gave it some gas but it hesitated. We've tried Lucas transmission fix at the recommendation of the auto parts sore employee. Don't know if it helped.

I've found some info on line that recommends either a transmission fluid replacement of a flush and fill. Which one is best? Who should I have do it - the dealer or an independent shop, like Jiffy Lube or something? How much should I expect to pay? And how can I avoid being ripped off?

We have one year left until this truck is paid off. We have 6 people in our family so we definitely need it to last. I appreciate your advice.

SWTZ71

Reaction score
has the tranny been rebuilt or replaced in the past do you know?
trans flush and fill are good cause it gets the fluid in the torque converter as well. but if its a mechanical issue that may not change anything..
I would try the tranny flush to start expect around $100 to $150 for this.. hope this helps

ChevyChick

Reaction score
SWTZ71, Thanks for responding. No, the transmission has not been rebuilt, to my knowledge. I should probably pull a CarFax but it's been 4 years and it's been running just fine.

I'm thinking I'm gonna do a fluid replacement, but not a flush. I read somewhere online that the flush removes some of the deposits and stuff that have become part of the transmission so it'll run different. Is that true?

S7A2G6

Reaction score
Try switching out the sylonoids (SP). There are four, but I would recommend the two on the rear.