2004 Chevy Tahoe issue...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

oxbishop

Reaction score
Hello Fellow Chevy People!

I'm glad i've found this forum... I've always been a chevy guy, from my 83 K5 Blazer to my 99 2 door tahoe, and now to my 2004 (4-door) tahoe ...

Truck in question:::: 2004 Chevy Tahoe 4x4

Issue: Out of the blue the back end of my Tahoe will not respond to any locking or unlocking.... (I've tried it through my alarm controller, as well as with the switch inside the car). The front two doors (drivers and passenger) will unlock and lock normally, however the back two doors as well as my tailgate will not respond... I can't even open the window on my tailgate with the button... I wasn't in any kind of accident, have checked the child lock feature and that is not it... I've heard that its an actuator? or something like that but I figure someone here should be able to get me some help...

PLEASE HELP! Has anyone dealt with this before? What is it? Also if i need replacement parts that You think I can replace, please let me know what you think, and if there's a YouTube clip that can help me with all this please let me know!

Any and all help is much appreciated! Thanks!

thzpcs

Reaction score
Does the mechanical locking system still work with the keys? Have you checked all the fuses and relays to see if they're still all good?

Scrtcell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The problem is the power lock and unlock relays in the driver side fuse box pull the cover on the driver side and replace the relays that should cure your problem and check to see if you are getting water in the driver side from rain....

MO Viet Vet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The problem is the power lock and unlock relays in the driver side fuse box pull the cover on the driver side and replace the relays that should cure your problem and check to see if you are getting water in the driver side from rain....

X2. Would be very strange and highly unlikely that both actuators took a dump at the same time.

Scrtcell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are not actuators,they are relays and a common problem on some of these trucks is water intrusion on the drivers side not saying it happens on every truck but I have seen first hand on two....what happens is those relays control the back doors and the rear hatch all he has to do is swap them with two similar relays just to test it out....I could be wrong but it would not hurt to try....

MO Viet Vet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are not actuators,they are relays and a common problem on some of these trucks is water intrusion on the drivers side not saying it happens on every truck but I have seen first hand on two....what happens is those relays control the back doors and the rear hatch all he has to do is swap them with two similar relays just to test it out....I could be wrong but it would not hurt to try....

I understand where the relays are and what they do but the actuator is the actual part at each door that works the linkages after getting the info from the relays. They used to be called actuators. Maybe called something else now. But there are linkages in that door that have to be moved and the actuators do that and that is why I said it would be highly unlikely that they both went at the same time.:waytogo:

Scrtcell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok it appears that someone may be overthinking this problem if you read the original problem it states that the front driver and passenger doors work correctly and that the TWO REAR DOORS and the HATCH do not work correctly.....the only electrical devices that are common to these parts that are not working correctly are those relays in the fuse box.....

MO Viet Vet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I respectfully disagree. If you have electrical relays sending a lock/unlock signal to the rear doors then something electrical has to respond to that signal. But you can have it your way.

MO Viet Vet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
By the way, if you read what I said, I only brought up the actuators when saying that it is highly improbable for them to go out at the same time. Never said they were bad.

Scrtcell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so I Don't know what kind of vehicle you drive or own or work on but I can tell you this I own a 2004 yukon denali I recently repaired a 2005 yukon denali that had the exact same problem as described in the original text and I found the information in my factory service manuals so if you would like to test my theory and you own one of these vehicles look in your drivers side fuse panel and remove the relays marked locked and unlock and test your the problem that was originally stated in the message.....

MO Viet Vet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I give up and only ask that read carefully what I said and not what you think I said. If you are saying that only the front doors have actuators and the back doors do not then you are wrong. If you are stuck on the fact that there are separate relays for them, then ok with that but there are still separate actuators and that is all I ever said and only said that for both actuators to go bad, at the rear doors, at the same time was very improbable. Don't worry, you will not see me responding to anymore of your posts. :whymewhyme: