2004 yukon wont go into 3rd gear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aztec

Reaction score
I have a 2004 Yukon with 140000 miles on it and the transmission would not go into 3rd gear. the RPMS go all the way to 4000 but it wont go into 3rd.
After accelerating and letting off the gas then it would shift back to 2nd.
so i have to go 40 miles/hr and you can hear the truck being forced.
it was doing fine all this time, so this morning i accelerated real rough and after that didnt want to go anymore.
i have absolutely no indications beforehand that a problem might be forthcoming
never had a problem with this truck.

i am hoping is something electrical or a sensor maybe.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

07burb

Reaction score
Sounds like its time for a tranny rebuild. What do your tranny fluid levels look like and what color is it?

aztec

Reaction score
thanks for the response. I will check levels and color of transmission and post back.
it is just hard to believe that a tranny without any prior problems would go out just by accelerating rough.

is there anything I can try besides rebuilt/new.

speed sensor, shift solenoid, etc.

thanks in advance

aztec

Reaction score
thanks for the response. I will check levels and color of transmission and post back.
it is just hard to believe that a tranny without any prior problems would go out just by accelerating rough.

is there anything I can try besides rebuilt/new.

speed sensor, shift solenoid, etc.

thanks in advance.
I actually never drive the truck or pull anything with it, its just sitting in the garage, man that would be mess up if I need a new or rebuilt tranny..oh well

07burb

Reaction score
With that particular issue, if fluid is low or appears dirty you can try changing the fluid first and see if that resolves it. Otherwise, I'd be taking it to a shop and have them diagnose exactly what the issue is. I wouldn't be surprised if a rebuild is necessary, though.

I had a truck once that showed no signs of issues and pulling away from a stoplight very conservatively something broke and it wouldn't shift at all so I can believe that you'd have no signs of issues at all before experiencing this issue.

Prospect62

Reaction score
First of all, stop driving it. You're making it worse. If you keep beating on it when it's clearly not 100% you ARE going to need a new tranny or a rebuild.

Second, with 140,000 on the original tranny it may be gone. Stuff breaks with no warning all the time. The fact that it wouldn't go into third gear before could have been due to low fluid or dirty fluid or a dirty filter. The fact that you continued driving it (including "rough" acceleration) may have really broken something.

07burb

Reaction score
First of all, stop driving it. You're making it worse. If you keep beating on it when it's clearly not 100% you ARE going to need a new tranny or a rebuild.

Second, with 140,000 on the original tranny it may be gone. Stuff breaks with no warning all the time. The fact that it wouldn't go into third gear before could have been due to low fluid or dirty fluid or a dirty filter. The fact that you continued driving it (including "rough" acceleration) may have really broken something.
:word: Definitely don't keep driving it until the issue is resolved.