2005 Fuel Filter- Is their one???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bald Jerry

Reaction score
I had my Tahoe at my mechanic and I know him very well and has been a friend of the family before I was born. He asked me if I ever changed my fuel filter on the Tahoe which is an 05 and I said no because I could never find it. He had it on the rack and could not find it either and called one of his GM buddies and they told him on the 05 they never put one in. He told me that his buddy said that the mesh on the fuel filter is my fuel filter.

Does this make any sense or did they hide it somewhere where even a GM mechanic at a Dealership doesn't know where it is at????

He said if their is none when he slows down he wants me to bring it in because I plan on keeping it and he will cut and flare one in.

Anyone with an 05 Tahoe know anything about this?

I do notice GM did a lot of cut backs and eliminated many things comparing it to the family 02 Tahoe to save money obviously. They made the 05 a lot nicer, but took off or eliminated different things to save money.

Bald Jerry

Reaction score
I found this out from a couple GM mechanics I talked to that the mesh inside the tank is the fuel filter. They said GM stopped putting them on after 2003 and stopped putting on a lot of other things on the 2005 Tahoe to save money. No rubber strips on the roof under the roof rack, eliminated the change air filter gauge under the hood, which I am not fan on, only way to get in with a key is the drivers side door as the passenger side they did away with, no Tahoe emblems on the doors which I actually like and thing it gives it a nicer look. Plus, no fuel filter....

This was all to save money and imagine say GM made 1/2 million Tahoe's in 2005 how much money GM saved by eliminating all that stuff.

They all said with no fuel filter never buy the cheap gas and make sure you get a quality fuel like Shell, BP, Mobil, etc. They also said when they are doing tune-ups and they dump the fuel filter in glass container they can tell what kind of fuel the person is using quality or cheap because cheap comes out like mud.

They said one should be cut in and I would only let someone that knew what they were doing do it. Reason is they said that where are the fuel tanks at a gas station located? Underground and when it rains where does all the water go and the debris the water washes off the ground go? In the tanks. Reputable gas stations have their tanks serviced to get the water out and the garbage that goes in them out.

They disagreed that it is for looks and said would you trust a mesh element for your air filter? So why trust a mesh element for a fuel filter and let that garbage that passes through it go through your fuel system.

I know you have your opinion and so do they and I have to go with the GM mechanics I talked with on this one.