2005 Tahoe LT Problems After 9 Months of Storage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bald Jerry

Reaction score
I had some medical problems and my 2005 Tahoe sat in a garage for 9 months with a battery tender on it to keep the battery charged so the battery was always fully charged. Reason it sat is until my health was better and I could finally drive again and have been driving it for the past month Here is the list...

1. Anti Lock Brakes were triggering non stop at a slow stop and then got better after a week or so and then seemed great. Then with more driving it started again, and now doing it non stop. I am guessing rust in the hub and it is triggering the sensor because all was perfect before it was stored with this and everything else too.

This sound about right? Or any other guesses? I did have a "Service Brake" message appear one time, but it showed up and the next start ups it never appeared again

2. Rear Windshield Wiper will just turn on all by itself in the off position and then turn off and then later turn on again. Switch went bad? Or has some corrosion in it? Possibly a bad ground? Something with the rear wiper itself where I should look into first? My plan is to start by pulling the switch out and check with a multi-meter and see that the switch is working properly.

Anyone got any suggestions if that is the best place to start or had this problem before and has the fix why it turns on for no reason in the off position? I pulled to fuse to stop this because it was annoying from day one, but want to get that fixed with winter coming soon.

3. This is a tough one... Air Conditioning will work great and then start to blow heat from the front both sides and the rear will be perfect. Sometimes it could be just one side of the front blowing cool air and the other side blowing heat... Sometimes it can be great in the front and blow heat out the back and be one sided front blowing heat. I do have what I believe they called "Tri Cool" or something like that with the digital in the middle and the two knobs on each side for driver and passenger. Plus the control up top to control the rear heat and cool. Possible my problem is in the "Tri Cool" on the dash for controlling the AC/Heat?

When this does this all I do is shut down the Tahoe and re-start it and all is good again, then it could work great for an hour, a day, a week, etc, then back to the no rhyme or reason where the heat will come out when on AC is on. . I always leave it on auto, and even when blowing heat if I turn it down all the way I still get heat when it is acting up.

4. I do hear something clicking inside the dash from time to time, but not all the time and am guessing a relay is on its way out going bad or whatever it is. Not sure if this has something to do with the AC, but I am sure it has something to do with something that is going to go if not that. When I do hear this I will totally shut the AC/Heat down and it keeps doing it.

5. Rear Hatch Shocks went bad, but the new ones are being delivered tomorrow.

If anyone has any input on where to start on some of these and had these problems I would greatly appreciate it. Anti Lock Breaks I am guessing rust in the hub triggering the sensor, but hub could have went bad too. AC has me baffled and I know if I take it to my mechanic he might be stumped on this one because it is a "sometimes" problem. Rear wiper I am going to look at first and see what I can come up with and put the fuse back in tomorrow and see what happens.... Clicking in the dash I have no clue if related to any of this or something else is going to go bad.

Just 9 months in storage in a garage created all this...Tahoe still runs great and did all the basic stuff for it sitting that long.. Oil Change, checked all fluids, tire pressures, etc. Just got to get these things worked out and like I said above if anyone has some advice of if these things happened with yours and you got it fixed and can help me out it is very much appreciated...

Tex99Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, Merlin, don't know anything about 2005's, but might have a clue about the rear wiper. Inside the wiper motor/housing itself is usually a 'park' switch, activated by a cam or pin on the shaft that moves the wiper. It allows power to continue to be supplied to the motor after you've switched it off, then breaks power when the wiper blade reaches the 'park' position.

A way to test is to put the fuse back in, start up the truck (or just switch on power), go back there and smack the motor housing with your hand, in various directions, or open/close the rear window, anything that will jostle it. If it cycles, you've confirmed a bad 'parking' switch in there.

If not, guess it may be something in the dashboard switch...

rockenthebowtie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The AC concern is going to be a temperature mode door actuator that is located on the center.. and slightly left under the glove compartment.. you will need to the long black cover near the floor board once you get that off you should see a little black motor with a electrical connector with like 4 or 5 wires on it.. the best way to test it is turn on the vehicle and HVAC move the temp controls from hot to cold if its that actuator it will start making the clicking noise you can either put your fingers on it to feel it or even disconnect the electrical connector and if the clicking stops thats your problem... The ABS concern sounds like you may have either a bad wheel speed sensor and or a poor connection on one.. if the ABS module sees a drop in speed on one of the sensors it attemp to slow the others down by activating the ABS system...only you would need a scan tool that has data capabilities to see whitch of the wheel speed sensors is dropping off.. As for the rear wiper staying on yes it can be a rear wiper module being internally shorted... However to many variables when it comes to electricl problems

Bald Jerry

Reaction score
I tried what you said about hitting the motor and opening and closing the window and it parked every time. No problems today at all and was out a bit and it did not do it one time going on by itself.. Thank you very much....

Bald Jerry

Reaction score
AC Problem

Temperature Door Actuator was the problem... Did exactly what you said and played around with the heat and AC and it started to click away and heat came on when it called for AC.
The AC concern is going to be a temperature mode door actuator that is located on the center.. and slightly left under the glove compartment.. you will need to the long black cover near the floor board once you get that off you should see a little black motor with a electrical connector with like 4 or 5 wires on it.. the best way to test it is turn on the vehicle and HVAC move the temp controls from hot to cold if its that actuator it will start making the clicking noise you can either put your fingers on it to feel it or even disconnect the electrical connector and if the clicking stops thats your problem... The ABS concern sounds like you may have either a bad wheel speed sensor and or a poor connection on one.. if the ABS module sees a drop in speed on one of the sensors it attemp to slow the others down by activating the ABS system...only you would need a scan tool that has data capabilities to see whitch of the wheel speed sensors is dropping off.. As for the rear wiper staying on yes it can be a rear wiper module being internally shorted... However to many variables when it comes to electricl problems

Tex99Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried what you said about hitting the motor and opening and closing the window and it parked every time. No problems today at all and was out a bit and it did not do it one time going on by itself.. Thank you very much....

That highly sophisticated technique was derived from Andy Griffith's "No time for sergeants" movie, the radio-fixin' scene: "My grandpappy would just spit on it, an' give 'er a WOMP!"...

amtronic1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is an actual term for hitting something to make it work. It's called "Percussive Maintenance".
CAUTION - Does not work on females.

Bald Jerry

Reaction score
That will never work... I always say anything that can bleed for 3 days and not die must be evil...lol
There is an actual term for hitting something to make it work. It's called "Percussive Maintenance".
CAUTION - Does not work on females.

Bald Jerry

Reaction score
Heat and AC are working like they should again

rockenthebowtie got me in the right direction... Ordered the part and no more problems... Your the best....

Now time to take it to the mechanic to see what is up with the ABS... Rust, sensor, or hub? We shall see and that is the end of the current problems for now... Knock on wood....lol

Bald Jerry

Reaction score
Best ABS HUB Brand to Buy

The ABS finally got figured out and it turned out it is the left ABS Hub that is no good. Family mechanic said if he were to get me a good brand his supplier would charge and arm and a leg. He told me to search the internet and buy a good one there because he knows the cost is a lot cheaper than he would pay.

What does everyone think is the best brand to buy? I do not want some cheap replacement and don't mind spending the extra money on quality...

Whats everyone think is the best to buy?

Bald Jerry

Reaction score
ABS

It turned out it was the hub and so far (knock on wood) not one single problem with it except the rear blend actuator going bad.

Also, had some guy rear end me and I had no damage which was a major plus because he got my stainless towing hitch and had tons.

Would you believe he said after he ran into me while I was stopped I reversed and backed up into him??? I guess having the Tahoe in Drive must have screwed up and sent a bad signal to the transmission momentarily at exactly the wrong time to make this happen. Or was he an idiot? Hmmmmmm

fixitgirl

Reaction score
Clarification please!

I realize this is a very old thread...I'm having cold air in front and hot in back when AC is on. Do I need to check the Temperature Door Actuator in the front or the rear? Thanks!

Bald Jerry

Reaction score
AC Blowing Hot Air In Back

rockenthebowtie is right like he always is. I actually put up some pics on how to get at it on another post. At the last pic just pull the panel back enough to get it out and put new one in.

Don't go Generic.. Go AC Delco as Generic Electronic parts just do not hold up. I know it will be more expensive, but it will last.

Here is the post with the pics I took doing mine on page 2

http://www.tahoeforum.com/showthread.php?t=9534&page=2

If both settings are set to cold then you would have to check the one in the back