2005 Yukon- Transfer Case Needed?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jtumbleweed

Reaction score
Hello, I am new here so forgive me if I am posting this in the wrong area.

We have a 2005 Yukon with 110,000 mi on it. We have always had issues with our AWD/4WD system. But it always worked off road. The issues were the 'check 4wd' light would come on then go off. Sometimes it would just be in '4Low' when starting out. But on a recent road trip we encounterd snow so we put it in AWD mode. Seemed to do fine. But later we put it back in 2Hi and a bit later at 70 MPH it slipped into what seemed to be neutral. Only putting it in AWD again would make it stay in gear.

So we took it to a mechanic.... They said no codes came up on the computer and they tested the encoder motor and said it is fine.

Forgive me but this is what I think he said next (I should record these conversations :whymewhyme:) He thinks it is the Transfer case. He said it seems sloppy...something wrong with the shaft. He says he'll need to order a new transfer case which will be about $1800 for the part and more for install.

My question is does any of this sound about right? Thinking I should get a second opinion. This shop has a decent reputation though.

Thx for Looking