2006 XM Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mjgreenley

Reaction score
I'd like to activate XM on my 2006 Tahoe, but, there is no XM module (that I can see) behind the glove box, and, there are no XM bands on the head unit. Now, my 2003 Tahoe ALSO does not have an XM tuner, BUT, it does have the XM bands on the head unit. I currently have an iPod adapter using the XM1 band.

So, what I'm trying to figure out is:

1. Do I need a different head unit to activate the XM Bands
2. Do I need to install an XM module (if so, is there a factory module part & Part #? Because, I've searched and cannot find any info).
3. Both 1 & 2?

The current head unit and audio set up is Bose with single CD, no tape.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Jeff M

Reaction score
There are couple ways you can go...

If you stick with the factory head unit you can ad a kit like the XM Onyx from Sirius. I believe it can connect to the factory unit 2 different ways, FM modulation through the antenna or and auxiliary input if your head unit has one available. The advantage to this is you can keep all your chimes, steering wheel controls, Bose amp and OnStar if equipped.

If you replace the head unit you will likely still need to buy the XM module to go with it as well as a bus adapter to connect the new head unit with the current vehicle controls (steering wheel controls, chimes, OnStar, Bose amp etc...)

I would give the techs at Crutchfield a call and get their input too. I hope this helps.

mjgreenley

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Looks like it might be more trouble than it's worth. I can't even find the satellite antenna anywhere. Looks like I'll be looking into options for an aftermarket head unit.

My only concern being that my 03 had major issues with the battery draining after replacing the factory head unit. Is there a way around this that you know of?