2007 Tahoe driveline "clunk/snap" noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KRL62

Reaction score
I've got an '07 Tahoe with 222K that I purchased new. It has been a great truck with essentially zero issues - until now.

For the past several weeks, I have experienced what seems like some type of driveline issue. Here is how it presents itself:

After coming to a stop at an intersection, slowing way down for a car turning in front of me, etc., I'll accelerate as normal. If - while accelerating - I take my foot off the throttle in approximately the 15-30MPH speed range, I hear a very metallic "clunk" that appears about 1 second after removing my foot from the throttle.

This "clunk/snap" is a very metallic sound, and is almost more of a "snap". The best way I can describe it seems like there is tension built up on some component, and then backing off the throttle allows it to "snap" back into place.

Repeatedly taking my foot off the throttle and re-accelerating without hitting the brakes causes the issue to appear also. With the windows open, it's a significantly loud noise. It sounds like something is ready to come apart!

To hopefully help in troubleshooting, here are a few notes regarding the issue:

1) It typically presents itself after the driveline has significantly heated up, as with a long drive at highway speeds.

2) It typically doesn't present when the driveline is cold (first drive in the morning).

3) There is always a slight delay (about 1 sec.) after taking my foot off the throttle that the "clunk/snap" is heard.

4) Perodically, a series of "clicks" also presents after the initial "clunk".

5) It doesn't present itself under load (accelerating) or under continuous highway speeds.

The problem seems to getting progressively worse since I first noticed it several weeks ago. It's been into two dealer shops, and they have ruled out U-joints, brakes (just recently replaced all rotors/pads/calipers), or other simple possibilities. At this point, the cause is inconclusive.

I know that there has been a service bulletin issued some years ago for some element of the driveline (slip yoke?) that could tend to stick and needed to be lubricated. I'm not sure if that is involved in my situation or not.
Any insight from members who have experienced a similar issue with their Tahoe would be appreciated.

Thanks!

memphise34a

Reaction score
I have a similar issue. It will sometimes even "clunk" after coming to a stop and sitting still before taking off again. I can hear it and feel it in the floor, but haven't been able to isolate where its coming from.

Same make and model - about 175K miles.

KRL62

Reaction score
I'm still trying to isolate it also. It's getting more predictable and repeatable. It's at a point now where once the driveline is suffficently warmed up (like from a long highway drive), I can pretty much force the noise to occur.

The other night when coming into town after a 1-hour highway drive, I slowed down where the speed limit goes from 55 to 30. I used the brakes to slow down, then continued into town around 30MPH.

At that point, I can quickly let off the throttle, and after a slight delay I'll hear (and somewhat feel also) the "clunk/snap" noise, which is now followed by several "ticking" noises that slowly fade away. If I speed back up to 30MPH then let off the throttle again, I can make the noise occur every time.

It's very frustrating because the noise is so clear and distinct - especially with the windows open - yet isolating it is proving to be tough. Two dealer shop visits have not produced an answer.

I don't like continuing to drive it the way it is, because it sounds signficantly loud when it happens. I hate to think I need to suffer a catastrophic failure to isolate the problem!

BillMoulton

Reaction score
That sounds like a known issue that I’ve had with my 2008.
The spline on the driveline drys out once a year or so and needs to be re-lubed.
Mine has been into the dealer twice for this. Each time the clunk goes away until it dries out again.

Last edited:

KRL62

Reaction score
BillMoulton - Thanks for replying. I believe that there is an existing service bulletin that was issued for the problem that you describe (anyone happen to have the number?). Seems like I came across that bulletin a couple weeks ago in some online searching, but I'm still not sure the procedure in the bulletin addresses my particular issue. At this point, however, I'm running out of better options and need to get this resolved before the cold weather hits here in MN. I think I'll have my dealer perform the work detailed in the bulletin and see if it makes a difference . . .

tspain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is an updated nickel plated slip yoke to correct repeat concerns for this condition for 4L60 Automatic Transmission (RPO M30) and 2WD.

The part number is:

19121437 - Slip Yoke (2007 & 20080 Utilities and Avalanche

20877209 - Slip Yoke (2009) (Tahoe / Yukon) Slip Yoke (2007–2010) Pickups

NOTE:

Some U-joints are fastened with nylon injection clips. If so, Do Not reuse the U-joint. Replace with GM P/N 12479126 U-Joint kit.

Last edited: