2008 Tahoe LTZ 4wd Issue.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Drumznut

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm new to this forum and would greatly appreciate some help/advice.

When my '08 Tahoe LTZ is in 2wd and I turn my selector dial to 4wd hi, I can hear the transfer case motor make a quick noise like it's trying to turn but it definitely does not engage. The selector dial switch light for 4wd blinks and goes back to a steady light in 2wd. I then also get a message in the driver info center that states "Service 4 Wheel Drive".

I had it scanned for codes and it came up as "C0321 Transfer Case Lock Circuit Malfunction." Once I clear the code I can get the transfer case motor to make that quick noise again but while the code is still in memory and I turn the selector dial to 4wd, I get no noise from the TC motor, and just get the blinking light on 4wd and it goes back to 2wd.

Do you think it is the Transfer Case Control Module, or the Transfer Case Motor, or what?? I'm not sure what to try or where to start but I'm willing to give it a shot if I have an idea where is best to start.

Thanks for your suggestions and help!!

177mph

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm new to this forum and would greatly appreciate some help/advice.

When my '08 Tahoe LTZ is in 2wd and I turn my selector dial to 4wd hi, I can hear the transfer case motor make a quick noise like it's trying to turn but it definitely does not engage. The selector dial switch light for 4wd blinks and goes back to a steady light in 2wd. I then also get a message in the driver info center that states "Service 4 Wheel Drive".

I had it scanned for codes and it came up as "C0321 Transfer Case Lock Circuit Malfunction." Once I clear the code I can get the transfer case motor to make that quick noise again but while the code is still in memory and I turn the selector dial to 4wd, I get no noise from the TC motor, and just get the blinking light on 4wd and it goes back to 2wd.

Do you think it is the Transfer Case Control Module, or the Transfer Case Motor, or what?? I'm not sure what to try or where to start but I'm willing to give it a shot if I have an idea where is best to start.

Thanks for your suggestions and help!!

i would suggest a trip to the dealer for a true diagnosis.

Drumznut

Reaction score
i would suggest a trip to the dealer for a true diagnosis.

I don't mean any disrespect, but I know a trip to the dealer could answer my questions.

Sometimes dealer service departments, and especially my local Chevy dealer here in upstate NY, play a little hard to get and don't like to, and/or want to just do a diagnosis of the problem and then "give up the farm" to the vehicle owner by readily and immediately giving them all specific information with part numbers and everything else. I don't blame them; they're in business to do the job themselves and make money at their margins doing that job.

I'm very much a "do-it-yourselfer" whenever I can be. I also don't necessarily want to spend "dumb" money just throwing parts at it and hoping one of them is the correct fix, especially if we're talking about fairly expensive parts. I was hoping that maybe somebody reading my post may have come across the same situation or know someone who has and they would share a possible solution. If I end up having to go the dealer route, then so be it...it won't be the first or the last time, that's for sure...lol.

Thanks for your response though.