2011 Tahoe headlights pulsing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Michael17

Reaction score
While driving mainly on the highway my headlights seam to pulse or flicked.
Dealer can't find anything wrong. Anyone else have this problem

HoweMan

Reaction score
well, i have a 2004 tahoe and I've been noticing latelty that the intensity of the beam waivers. it's not fast, like a flicker, but it seems to get weaker for a second them come back. i've tried to take notice what the engine is doing when this happens, and it doesn't seem to be related to the rpms that the engine is putting out. i'm stumped...

rockenthebowtie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can start by swapping out the low beam relay with the high beam relay from the under the hood fuse block they will be identified as the HDLP HI RELAY and the HDLP LOW RELAY when you swap them you want to get a pair of needle nose pliers and slightly twist the terminals on the relays so they may assure a good contact to the fuse block terminal connetors just slightly not to much... also on the lower left front of the radiator theres a body ground off the negative side of the battery a smaller gauge cable that splits off the bigger cable there at the battery terminal you can follow it down to where its bolted like mentioned to the left lower front of radiator check the hold down to see if its nice and tight and or remove it and make sure there's a nice clean contact to the body you can get some emery cloth to clean it up some.. try that and see if it helps

rockenthebowtie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@michael I an idiot was looking at the wrong post I gave you the information for howeman 04 tahoe sorry let me see what I can find on your 2011

rockenthebowtie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok are they factory HIDs if so what's happening is that the ballast is re striking the bulb to to light back up but it will happen so fast that it appears to be flickering that is a the symptom of early light failure so you may have some HID bulbs that are going out... you want to have that taken care of as soon as possible because to many restrikes and or restarts of the HID bulbs will also burn out the ballast..

Michael17

Reaction score
Thanks. It is back at the dealer for another problem. I will pass information to them and hopefully they can take care of it this time

boneill

Reaction score
i have an 07 tahoe ltz and my headlights flicker also, regular headlight bulbs, no HID. just bought it from carmax, its annoying and only had her for a couple days now.

Kunihiro

Reaction score
i have an 07 tahoe ltz and my headlights flicker also, regular headlight bulbs, no HID. just bought it from carmax, its annoying and only had her for a couple days now.

I bought my '07 Tahoe 3LT from Carmax and when I test drove it, it did the same thing your describing. The salesman didn't notice it until I brought it to his attention.

If it were my car, I would take it back to Carmax for inspection and repair.

They did a complete electrical test and it turned out that the brushes in the alternator were bad.

just my suggestion.

Allen

langg

Reaction score
I have an 04. All of my lights (inside and outside) are flickering at about 1x-2x per second. You can see it in the voltmeter as well but not as rapid. Alternator and battery are new. Any ideas?

langg

rockenthebowtie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@llangg..Well not sure what type terminal and wiring repair skills you may have..but what you need to do is disconnect the 4way electrical connector and see if Terminal D is occupied by a red rubber cap/plug terminal D is going to be the one when looking at the connector and with the locking clip on top its going to be the one on the far right if it has the red rubber cap you need to remove it and get a 18 gauge wire with the correct terminal and put it in D cavity the the other end of the wirw to the battery terminal on the alternator

langg

Reaction score
OK. I think I understand which connector. I'll take a look tomorrow. I can make the change if I can find the terminal in question.

I appreciate your responding to my question.

langg

rockenthebowtie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
De nada.... if you look over to where the receiver dryer is you will see a blue connector just dangling there its of no use whats so ever you can get the terminals out of that one by removing the connector position assurance clip on the back of thw connector then on the front of the connector look into where the terminals are and you will see a little slot right above the terminals stick a little pick and push down that will release the terminal from the connector you can use that it will slide right in but before you put it in the connector cavity you need to lift up on the locking tab on the terminals that you you pushed down on to release it

rockenthebowtie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The slot is between the terminals and the plastic connector thats where you want to stick the pick between then likw I said push/pry downward onthe terminal itself then pull on the wire it should slide right out

langg

Reaction score
I found the red plug and removed it without problem. however, there is no unused plug, blue or otherwise, in the vicinity of the receiver/dryer.

Will the dealer have a pin?

If adding this wire fixes the problem, why didn't GM put it there to begin with?

langg