2013 Delayed Start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ellerphant

Reaction score
Hey guys, First time here. Just recently purchased a 2013 Tahoe LTZ. When I turn the key to start, there is about a 3-4 second delay before the engine starts. During those 3-4 seconds, there is no cranking noise or anything. After that, starts right up. I've never had this happen in any other vehicle I've had. Any thoughts or suggestions?

rockenthebowtie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you or someone install like an aftermarket alarm or radio etc .. if ther is any type aftermarket accessories and they are tapped into circuit #4 of the ignition switch that most likely will be the problem

Ellerphant

Reaction score
I haven't installed anything,
But I'll heck and see if I can find something. Thanks for the tip

rockenthebowtie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sometimes the dealership will install kill switches on the vehicles to help prevent from theft and for the most part you will see a littl square box screwed into the knee booster right below the steering wheel/column or look under the dash on driver side and you will see a black box approximately an 8×6 & 1-2 thick with about 6 - 7 connectors plugged into to it see if you can see any type aftermarket wiring/spade connectors tapped into it

bladenbullet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lol...

interesting issue....for what its worth you are not starting the engine directly with the key....when you turn it to crank the pcm is signaled that you want to start it and it determines when it will crank and how long....stopping the cranking when it detects engine rpms rise at the start up or when it has cranked beyond a specific amount of time in order to protect the starter...

unless like rockthebowtie stated someone has installed some aftermarket devise or you are exaggerating the amount of time because you are not used to a computer controlled starter it would be unusual for that kind of delay...I have ahd many customers state long delays only to find out the delay is perfectly normal....they just aren't accustomed to any delay at all...

itll be interesting to follow this...please keep us up to date...and give rocky a pat on the back...he is so unappreciated... :happy160: