2014 Tahoe and AFM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ajabug

Reaction score
Hello all,

I was wondering my wife and i just purchased a 2014 tahoe LT with the 5.3 with the AFM this was only after i read and heard about the horror stories of earlier 2007-2012 modles. So i guess my question is Has the engine breaking oil consuming problem been corrected sence then?

MO Viet Vet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AFM = Active Fuel Management

DOD = displacement on demand

These refer to the feature on the 07+ models that will deactivate 4 of the cylinders during a low power demand to conserve fuel. The system has been known to be troublesome for a few owners with failing lifters, oil consumption, etc.

Most have found that using a programmer to turn off the feature has saved a lot of engine issues. So MS03's suggestion is get it fixed and turn it off ASAP. I believe there is a module made by Range Technologies (?) that you plug into the OBDII port (computer port near your parking brake) that will turn it off as long as it is plugged in.

Brett Miller

Reaction score
Wow. Chevy has invested millions in R&D and you suggest turning it off? I have a 2014 Corvette that gets 30mpg on highway at 80 using cylinder activation and it has worked flawlessly for 20,000 miles. I recently bought a 2015 Tahoe with the same deactivation and it seems fine.

jaelliott

Reaction score
New guy here. We have over 100k on our 08 Tahoe with the DOD (I own a Dodge Challenger so I'm more familiar with the term MDS=Multiple Displacement System) and have no issues from it thus far. Though my trusted repair shop has owned many GM products and first thing he does is to disable that function. When I get a tuner for my wife I may consider it.

jaelliott

Reaction score
Wow. Chevy has invested millions in R&D and you suggest turning it off? I have a 2014 Corvette that gets 30mpg on highway at 80 using cylinder activation and it has worked flawlessly for 20,000 miles. I recently bought a 2015 Tahoe with the same deactivation and it seems fine.

Millions in R&D but built by the lowest bidder ;)

strids97

Reaction score
Have an 08 Tahoe with just over 80K miles on it. Starting to wonder if mine is starting to have issues. Doesn't burn any oil, but when driving on the highway for a while when it switches from 4 cylinders back to 8 i hear a noise. Not all the time but if it's switching a lot i hear it more. I'm assuming a Tune would fix this so it doesn't drop to 4, what aftermarket tuners will do this?