350 vortec swap to a 305

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

big_shydaddy

Reaction score
Ok so a blew a hole through my 350 vortec in my 98 tahoe so thats a done deal. Thing is my uncle has a built 305 in working condition that he pulled out his iroc its not a tbi. And I was told its a direct swap I wud jus have to carry over my intake I wanna know if thats all I have to do or do I have way more to do? SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!. I'm getting the motor for free so if I can save the money I plan on doing that

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, thats not gonna run good...... PCM tune amongst some other things would be required AFAIK....

lwcools

Reaction score
Just rebuilt my 96 vortec. Originally was thinking about scavenging my 88 firebird for its 350 TPI to buy some time. Too many electronics on the vortec to go backwards in age, plus you'd basically have to rework the fuel system, computer and all electronics, emissions, etc. the best thing to do is find a junk yard engine for cheap and rebuild it or crate engine from jegs. my build set me back about 3800 after upgrades and goodies. A basic rebuild should be in the neighborhood of 2500 out the door though