383 build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably gonna have to slip it back into the engine bay..... if you had an HEI distributor out of a TBI you could fire it up on the engine stand with carb cleaner. All the HEI requires is 12v to the module to fire the coil and the starter hooked up to crank it over........

aznpersuasion

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Darn computers...well this may all happen tomorrow night. Hopefully it works :/

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
are you talking about the oil pressure sensor? Probably, if you reinstall it in the bay, the rest of the work can still be done with it in the truck.......

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like I said if you had a TBI distributor you could fire it up on the stand with a little carb cleaner shot into the intake...... I actually ran an engine that way one time when I was having a fueling issue and I wanted to hear it run.......

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah, yeah, it wont fire if that one isnt connected IIRC....

aznpersuasion

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what all needs to be connected? last time i had the cam sensor, crank angle sensor, IAT&TPS sensor, MAP sensor, harness bundle on top of intake manifold and obviously fuel lines. i think that was it. now i assume the SERVICE ENGINE SOON light is supposed to be on? since so much other crap is unplugged?

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the vortec you need almost all of that plugged in, even the MAF sensor has to be plugged in and the intake put together....

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you do get it running you will probably want to take it to someone with a highlevel scantool that can initiate a "CASE" learn mode....

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
without MAF the PCM wont see airflow and wont add the appropriate ammount of fuel (no fuel) to the intake charge. IAT not hooked up will show WAY LOW TEMP and just pour fuel in (flooding and not running), etc.....

aznpersuasion

Full Access Member
Reaction score
a CASE on the factory ECU? i havent put in the blackbear one and wont until the motor is GOOD.

aznpersuasion

Full Access Member
Reaction score
without MAF the PCM wont see airflow and wont add the appropriate ammount of fuel (no fuel) to the intake charge. IAT not hooked up will show WAY LOW TEMP and just pour fuel in (flooding and not running), etc.....

right, i had the IAT and MAF and MAP plugged in. maybe because the charge tube wasnt connected it was throwing things off. but enough to not run may be a little much. im really hoping its cam timing. if not i have no clue.

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IF you had the intake duct not connected to the throttle body and had the electrical plug hooked to the MAF it wont run (wont see any airflow).....

aznpersuasion

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IF you had the intake duct not connected to the throttle body and had the electrical plug hooked to the MAF it wont run (wont see any airflow).....

thats exactly what i did. hoping to trick it. im just trying to keep it as little hooked up for the inevitable removal.

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you leave the electrical off the MAF I think it will run in speed density mode (with the MAP sensor).

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wish you had got on here before pulling the engine back out.... :-( Live and learn...

aznpersuasion

Full Access Member
Reaction score
haha....ya....but i still wasnt getting compression....but maybe thats due to bad cam timing....but it only took me 30 mins to pull it back out. getting faster lol

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The MAP kinda functions as a backup in case of total failure of the MAF if I had to guess. Wont run worth a crap as it is designed to run with a MAF. Unplugging the electrical off the MAF will let the PCM ignore its state and then calculate fueling off MAP and fueling tables in PCM.

I also wouldnt use the new PCM untill you get it back together.