3RD brake light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tonyrodz

Reaction score
On my 03 Tahoe the 3rd brake light isn't working. I tested the plug and it does get power. I took off the assembly to check bulbs but I couldn't see a way of opening it up. Is there a way to open the brake light assembly to change bulbs? It can't be sealed. And I find it strange that all the lights quit working. I got a ticket the other day for failure to maintain by the cops! Can anyone help me with this? I don't have to buy the entire assembly from the dealer do I?

ooblackhoe

Reaction score
the 3rd brake light is not serviceable. its a sealed unit with leds in it, not regular bulbs. when they fail its usually because moisture got into it and fried the board. dont go to the dealer for a new one. that will cost you $200+. i ordered one from amazon for about $50 and its been working fine for 3+ years and counting.

Tonyrodz

Reaction score
I got one online for $44. I pulled the old one apart and saw no damage at all! No burned marks or moisture in any bulbs--weird. New one works fine tho.