454 swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Andrew99Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone swapped a 350 with the 454 motor? Is it simple? Will I have to re-gear; change the transmission,transfer case, and drivelines? I have a 99 Tahoe. :superhack:

Tahoe99

Reaction score
Sure it's possible. I read an article in TruckTrend 10 years ago where they swapped 454 into a 99 Tahoe. You'll need 4L80 behind it, your rear end may be too weak. Also, 454 is much heavier (and the new tranny) so you'll need to upgrade the torsion bars to ones from 2500 truck. The cost of all upgrades would be high. I thought about swapping a NA 383 and upgrading the 4L60 with stronger integrals for my 99 but then sold the truck. But the answer is yes.

gibsonsynthetics

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is definitely possible, I have seen a 350 in a Civic hatchback... But the more mods that you have to make the more costly it gets. If you look around I am sure there are people on the forum that would be happy to help you out with all the necessary purchases and would give you some sweet deals too.

Good luck with this! Keep us posted if your going to do it, I'd love to see pics of the swap