4x4 cable cut?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99chevytahoe

Reaction score
I have a 99 tahoe lt and I just bought it and me and my dad are fixin it up. One of the problems it has it that the 4hi light stays on then shuts off after like 5 mins and SES light comes on. Upon further exam I found a wire in a corrugated sheath on top of the chasis cross member right below the transfer case and front driveshaft. The wire looks like like it has been stretched and broke but I dont know if it is for the transfer case. When I bought it they said the previous owner took the front deiveshaft out for better gas mileage. I think that the transfer case is stuck in 4hi becausw of that wire cut but im not sure.. any help would be appreciated!!!!

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Taking the front driveshaft out wont do anything for MPG.... The Tcase and the front end drop out and the front shaft dont turn..... Where does the other end of the harness run?

99chevytahoe

Reaction score
Taking the front driveshaft out wont do anything for MPG.... The Tcase and the front end drop out and the front shaft dont turn..... Where does the other end of the harness run?

Well apparently the previous owner took the driveshaft out for better mpg which tells me that the thing is stuch in 4hi all the time. And there is a similar style wiring harness attached to the tcase but still unsure where the other end goes or even if the cut wire is fir the tcase. I just hope to god its nothin mechanical

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could be the front end is locked in, may need an actuator for the front pumpkin....

twicepipes

Reaction score
4x4 wires

Check the engine codes (write them down) and fix the wires. Pull the flexible plastic cover off the wires far enough to were they are good. Clean the outside of the wires so you can see the color of them (example brown with a white stripe) Repair wires one at a time with the same gauge wire. As for the person telling you they pulled the front drive shaft out to save on fuel I say BS. In 2 Hi the front drive shaft does not spin nor is the front axel engaged.

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Front actuator could be engaging the front end and causing it to spin, but the wires should be fixed first...

99chevytahoe

Reaction score
Check the engine codes (write them down) and fix the wires. Pull the flexible plastic cover off the wires far enough to were they are good. Clean the outside of the wires so you can see the color of them (example brown with a white stripe) Repair wires one at a time with the same gauge wire. As for the person telling you they pulled the front drive shaft out to save on fuel I say BS. In 2 Hi the front drive shaft does not spin nor is the front axel engaged.

No.. im trying to say they took the front driveshaft out because it is stuck in 4hi. I did some reading and i think it is a bad servo motor encoder. But just last night i rrsoldered the bundle of wires back together. I traced the bundle back to my rear o2 sensor. My engine light was on because of the rear o2 sensor...imagine that.. so as of today my engine light went out so im positive all that wire was for was the o2 sensor.. NOT my tcase. Now that i have some peace of mind with the engine light off i can focus on a lot of stuff more important than that but thanks for the imput guys.

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seemed like you were indicating the PO had indicated that the tcase was in 4hi and that is why it was removed, I have been told alot of things by PO's that turned out to be wrong, besides they got rid of it because they couldnt or wouldnt fix it....