4x4 problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

spendog69

Reaction score
Alright I'm new to the site and I'm not a chevy guy... but now to the point I have a late 99 tahoe z71 5.7 4x4 and 4x4 doesn't really work. I have replaced the servo in the front differential and she I did that I put the truck up on 4 jack stands and tried putting it in 4 hi and the light blinked a few times and i could hear the servo in the diff and then the light went back to 2 hi then I tried 4 low and again it blinked a few times and the servo moved and it moved again and then the 4 hi light came on and stayed on so I put it in drive and looked out the window to see if the wheels were moving. They were not so I hit the gas then they moved slowly so I guess my question is is this normal or if not what is wrong

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Should turn at the same rate as the rear wheels, low is pretty low tho....

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Either someone has regeared it or you got some slippage somewhere......

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would say Tcase could be slipping, clutches may be worn out or componets damaged internally, is it full of fluid and clean at that?

spendog69

Reaction score
I changed t case fluid about a month ago and it smelled a bit like burnt trans fluid and was a little dark but other than that it was pretty clean it wasn't full of junk

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
could have the clutches burnt up I guess....