5.3 ticking/knocking sound, cold start...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Barry

Reaction score
Hi Folks,
Have a 2001 Tahoe Z71, with only 87K on it. On a trip up to Mt. Rainier the motor started making a "ticking" sound, and seemed to be there even after warm-up. It would go away, as well, here & there. But it easily made the 7 hour round-trip to the mountain & back. Now the noise is there on a cold start & seems to go away after 6-8 minutes. I'm on Whidbey Island (Puget Sound) & the local mechanics are nice, but not 5.3 experts. It's a ferry ride to the mainland dealership, but I feel they know the 5.3 in & out. The island mechanics checked a bulletin & are sure the o-ring in the oil pickup is shot & needs 5 hours to replace at $600+. I'm not losing any oil pressure at startup & it's at least at 45 going down the road, so I'm not sure. I thought it could be the exhaust manifold gaskets that could be shot & are sealing back up once the block & manifold expand a little on warm-up. The issue is that I don't know what the sound of an exhaust leak, or lifter noise, etc. is supposed to sound like. I know the 5.3 has had issues with manifold bolts & so on. Any opinion would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

redhoe1

Reaction score
Sounds like the 5.3 piston slap. My 2002 had it when we bought it when it had around 160k miles on it. The sound has gotten a little worse but still goes away when warmed up, have 270 k miles on it now. Just part have owning a 5.3.

Barry

Reaction score
5.3 ticking sound..

Thanks for the feedback. It's weird, but now the noise has stopped ... even on startup. I feel bad for the shop that was convinced it was an O-ring in the oil pickup that was shot, and it still could be that. But I didn't want to just drop $600 for the hell of it. Really need to get it to the dealership in the mainland for a look.
Barry