'94 5.7l rough idle at cold start up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sportblazer350

Reaction score
so my 1994 Blazer 5.7l was due for a major tune up. replaced: spark plugs and wires, dist cap and rotor, then had problems with idle and very rough idle at start up that almost faded away after the engine warmed up. So- replaced the egr valve, egr solenoid, egr vacuum line, another vacuum line, iac valve, and the coolant temp sensor. also replaced the dist pick-up coil and the coil itself.

Then a few days later: the horrible idle at start up returned! engine shakes bad, exhaust is blue and smells funny, check engine light comes on and off, fluctuating idle. so I took my Blazer to another shop, and here is what they did:
- found the new vacuum line to the EGR valve was a loose fit, so he heated it to shrink it and made a tighter fit; adjusted the throttle position sensor (did not know that was possible??), and found the throttle cable had a bit of a kink causing some binding.

results: this old Blazer with 254,000 mile purrs like a kitten!!

just a head's up for any out there with the same problem with a cold start idle. it's always either a vacuum leak and/or a sensor whenever this engine runs poorly.

Last edited:

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks.... Someone could use this information!