Chasin my tail

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Firematch

Reaction score
Okay guys, here goes.....

Bought my hoe last October with what appeared to be, at the time, a need for a simple tune-up and a possible vac leak. Also had a small exhaust leak. Nothing too major...or so I thought.

Well, as we all know how the story goes, the hoe kinda grew on me and reminded me of my old 84' K5 Blazer. Loved that truck! Anyway...

I began the process of applying ample amounts of TLC and cash.

I did a tune-up consisting of new plugs, wires, cap, rotor and an oil change.

I have given her a full 2.5" dual exhaust from the manifolds(manifold on the passenger side is new) back with Flowmaster mufflers and a new O2 sensor.

Next I replaced the PCV tube (hardened and cracked) and the PCV valve, since I was already in there anyway. This fixed a very small part of my runability issue.

Since I couldn't find any better advise about my issues at this point than "start replacing stuff and eventually you'll get it"...I started "replacing stuff".

My issues are:
-Rough idle (at times, not all the time)
-Strong gas smell whether at idle or driving down road
-Throws 2 different lean condition codes(can't remember the numbers right off)
- Has a miss that seems to come and go which has been sticking around more and more lately. Almost like its loading up. When I get on it for a short time, seems to clear out but as soon as I go back to normal running comes back immediately.
-Occasionally stalls out shortly after start up.

I replaced things in an order that I felt best addressed my symptoms.

I started with the throttle position sensor.
Then I checked the EGR which checked good however since the EGR solenoid was cheap enough, I replaced it.
I replaced the MAP sensor as well.

The previous owner put a fuel pressure gauge in the engine compartment that is tapped directly into the TBI. Everyone that has looked at it says they have never seen anything like it. Anyway, the gauge seems to function properly. It was showing fuel pressure on the low end of the range (9psi) so we thought maybe we had a fuel pressure issue so I replaced the fuel filter and eventually the fuel pump. Pressure is now running out @ 11 psi, right where it should be. I noticed the other day when I was under the hood that when I started it up, my fuel pressure spiked up to around 16 psi and took about 2 minutes to come back down to around 11 psi. So obviously this is an area of attention unless someone can tell me this is normal.

I've been given multiple ideas as to what it might be and it could be any one, all or none of them.

They are hints like:
-Temp sending unit
-Fuel pressure regulator
-Transmission speed sensor
-Distibutor
-Ignition Module
-Coil

Any ideas???

Firematch

Reaction score
Oh yeah and I've also been told it may be an intake leak by one person but a couple mechanics have said they have never seen a small block chevy have an intake leak. Not sure who I believe less...

wolfbraid

Reaction score
My 95 had a intake leak, had the dealer fix that one.(I wasn't as confident as I am now) Could be the fuel pump? Maybe it's not being consistent, I know I replaced mine(mistakenly) but there was a filter sock on the pump that was pretty crudded up from all the years.