96 Yukon stumbles or just about shuts off when first acclerating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scottsdale816

Reaction score
I have a 96 Yukon with 5.7 and have started having a problem with it after it sits for awhile,few hours or overnight. When I first start it it runs fine but when I start to accelerate it stumbles or has very bad hesitation like it is going to shut off. But after that first time it runs fine with no problems again until it sits awhile. It acts how an older carburetor model would act if it was not warmed up enough before taking off. Any help would be appreciated. I have not checked fuel pressure because it is running great otherwise. Fuel filter has been changed. Injectors were changed 3 years ago, and throttle position sensor replaced about 8 months ago. No check engine light on.

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Clean the Mass Airflow Sensor, Check fuel pressure.

scottsdale816

Reaction score
Ok I will try that, I also noticed today that if you start it after it has been sitting awhile you can race the engine in park and it does not hesitate at all but if you put in gear it will stumble when you try and take off.

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Might also check the EGR flow..... It could be leaking a little bit.....

laredo1307

Reaction score
Had the same issue, especially in the mornings. Turns out there was corrosion under my distributor cap. I had done a tune-up about 6 months prior and used an aftermarket cap that had brass points in it. This ended fouling out my plugs and destroying my new catalytic converters. Needless to say when I fixed everything I went back with AC Delco parts and have not had any problems.