97 Tahoe Electrical Shutdown

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jenrik

Reaction score
I have a 97 Tahoe and just recently it just randomly shuts off, I mean everything, Ill be driving and everything will go off and engine will die then everything comes right back on, It has done it while driving or idling, it has only shut down enough to loose programming on radio just once though, the other times it comes back quick enough not to loose memory, i have no engine light on and there are no codes showing up and amp guage seems normal,... I cannot notice any kind of pattern or anything that makes this happen, its just random,.. its like disconnecting the battery and alternator at the same time then hooking them right back in. Help :confused:

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check frame to engine and to battery grounds....

MO Viet Vet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Especially at the firewall area. Seems like recently have heard from others that had a problem like this and they found ground cable problems either at the frame or at firewall from engine. Unless of course they had their wires crossed. LOL!

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the ground strap from the firewall to the engine as stated above. I went after mine a few months ago and it was like a crunchy piece of braided rust.

totalpackage

Reaction score
If not answered, i can tell you I had same issue. It was the Positive battery connector. It looked healthy from outside but it has 2 pieces.Cut into the red cover, its 2 pieces. The middle was corroded up. I opened both negative and positive. Cut them off and made new ones.