98 Chevy Tahoe Rough start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JHarb

Reaction score
I have a 98 2dr tahoe and have acquired a strange problem. The distributor cap went bad a few weeks ago. I have replaced the timing chain and gears, Cam and Crank shaft position sensors, and the entire distributor. The engine is in time. But when I first start it after is been sitting it idles rough and sometimes dies, then the engine revs itself to 2k rpms and is then runs smooth. It is throwing Lean Bank 1 and 2, its been doing that forever. And is throwing P1345 off and on, along with 02 sensor bank 2, but i know my Cat is bad. So any suggestions would help.

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check Fuel Pressure. Also check/ clean/ unplug electrical on MAF sensor for testing.

JHarb

Reaction score
Fuel pressure is good, pump and filter were replaced recently. Put a new Mass air flow sensor and it didn't affect anything.

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't just replace parts, test them.

If you need help how to test something, ask.

What is the fuel pressure doing?

JHarb

Reaction score
I've taken the lines off and the fuel pressure is very strong. It starts like an old car if the choke was left on, but once it's revved up to about 2k rpms it runs smooth as a top.

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it was strong, how strong was it (in PSI)

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fuel pressure guage attached to the service port at the rear of the engine above #7 Intake runner.