98 tahoe transmission noise question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MO Viet Vet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you insert that torque convertor make sure you turn it and push in lightly and feel the "step" process as it engages. That front seal should be replaced if is old and when install the convertor a thin film of grease is ok at the seal lip area for slickness. Also check the snout of the convertor to make sure not grooved.

argclh6670

Reaction score
When you insert that torque convertor make sure you turn it and push in lightly and feel the "step" process as it engages. That front seal should be replaced if is old and when install the convertor a thin film of grease is ok at the seal lip area for slickness. Also check the snout of the convertor to make sure not grooved.
Good call on the seal.....afew extra bucks is worth th piece of mind. Couple questions, theres a seal retainer clip, is that reusable? And, with tc fully engaged i spin it and it growls (seated too far) i pull it out a 1/16 and spins freely no nise. Is that normal??

MO Viet Vet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes on the clip as long as is spring steel and in good shape. The growl is the gearing moving. When you pull the convertor forward to bolt to flex plate it is same as what you just described.

argclh6670

Reaction score
K people, installed the trans on saturday....everything feels good....shifts well, no odd noises. So i think this one is whooped. Thanks to all who commented! This Forum rocks!!