99 Tahoe fuel pressure question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cableguy769

Reaction score
I have a 99 Tahoe with the 5.7 gas engine. This is apparently a split model year & mine is from the first half of the year.

Here is my problem. When driving down the road, if I'm driving at a steady speed, I notice what I guess would be called hesitation. If I accelerate, it's nice & smooth. It behaves the same whether I use the cruise or not. I also notice the "hesitation" when I'm puling away from an intersection.

When I start the truck in the morning, I have to turn it over for 3-5 seconds before it fires up. It seems to be a little worse when the air is very damp also.

Now what I'm wondering is do you guys think it's the fuel pump or should I take a look at the fuel pressure regulator first? In regards to the regulator, how big of a deal is it for someone who is fairly mechanically inclined?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

justimagination

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Next time you go to crank it, close the door and listen carefully, when you turn the key on, you should hear the fuel pump run for a couple of seconds and then stop. After this, it should start as soon as you twist the KEY ONLY, NO GAS PEDAL. If the fuel pump does not run and stop as mentioned, there is your problem. If you have to replace the fuel pump, USE ONLY A/C DELCO WITH A NEW A/C IN LINE FILTER. Good luck.
david g. :waytogo: