99 tahoe leaking coolant...any ideas?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hoeltt

Reaction score
Hello everybody! I'm looking for some help on a huge coolant leak. Long story short I found a leak coming from the valve cover on the driver side. Not the valve cover itself but where it meets the heads. I can add water and it leaks out just as fast as I pour it. Any ideas on what this could be caused by? Its a 99 tahoe 4 door 5.7. Thanks for any and all help!

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replace the LOWER INTAKE MANIFOLD GASKETS with the updated set (FelPro Permadry Plus gasket set - steel frame with rubber surrounding the frame.)

PARK it untill you get it fixed.... Mark the distributor before you pull it. This issue could kill your engine in short manner....

hoeltt

Reaction score
Hey lesterl. Thanks for the quick reply! It just happened today and havent driven it since, $100 for a tow home. Do you know why my dipstick is showing no oil? Its been running fine, oil gauge is normal, no leaks and no smoke till todays mishap. I dont know if they are related or not. Thanks again for the help!

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I would suspect maybe it is burning oil? These LIM gaskets seal the lifter valley from the intake (the intake also has coolant running thru it.)

Biggyniner

Reaction score
Replace the LOWER INTAKE MANIFOLD GASKETS with the updated set (FelPro Permadry Plus gasket set - steel frame with rubber surrounding the frame.)

PARK it untill you get it fixed.... Mark the distributor before you pull it. This issue could kill your engine in short manner....

Second this advice..

Mine was doing the same thing, tho not quite as bad. new lower intake manifold gaskets by Felpro and good to go! :peace:

Grey2dr

Reaction score
Coolant leak

Not sure if it will help. I had a leak in the same area and was about to to the intake gasket. After another close inspection I found my issue. Changed out the quick connect and problem solved.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-01-30-22-15-41.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-01-30-22-15-41.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 15

Make It Happen

Reaction score
how do I fix this? mine is leaking here on my 99 as well

Not sure if it will help. I had a leak in the same area and was about to to the intake gasket. After another close inspection I found my issue. Changed out the quick connect and problem solved.

how do i fix this? new hose or can i try tightening it down or replace just the connector? any help appreciated

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just replace the quickcoupler, should be in the Help! section of the parts store....

Make It Happen

Reaction score
well besides a slight leak at this coupler the radiator went last night.

And the radiator while I'm at it now, cause she fully went last night. Which I am kind of glad because was loosing coolant so once the radiator is replaced I can monitor and make sure I am not loosing coolant elsewhere.
You know what stinks I cant fit this truck into my garage #1 #2 even if I can nose her in its sorta a messy job unless I drain and push the nose in. Cause its cold here in NJ. I hate the cold!
I assume replacing the rad is pretty straight forward on these? I have the towing package so I assume its a heavy duty radiator?

At least it didnt happen now on my way to work or halfway there.

Just replace the quickcoupler, should be in the Help! section of the parts store....

MarkD51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it's any help, and this is the actual cause of the leak, I basically had my 97's quick connect coupler begin to leak almost from day one of ownership brand new.

After a few months of looking at that idiotic part leak, and wiping at that area, I decided to do something about it.

Simply went to one of the big box auto parts stores, bought the proper intake manifold heater hose nipple, which I believe is 3/4".

Unscrewed the original part with wrench, installed the aftermarket part with a bit of Teflon pipe thread dope on the threads, and never had a problem after. That was 16 years ago.

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine has a nipple in it instead of the quick coupler, the radiator isnt too had, two trans lines on Pass side, two oil cooler lines on drivers side, upper rad hose on drivers, lower rad hose on pass side.

MarkD51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine has a nipple in it instead of the quick coupler, the radiator isnt too had, two trans lines on Pass side, two oil cooler lines on drivers side, upper rad hose on drivers, lower rad hose on pass side.

Well yeah, any common sense motor should've had a nipple, instead of that stupid **** GM threw on the 5.7L.

Way too much **** is built today, that you can't even change a freaking air filter, without paying the dealer.

I truly believe, that in the future, instead of me buying any newer vehicle, I'll go to Hemmings, buy myself something like a nice clean '66 Nova with 327ci, and be done with it, a car I'll take to the grave, and one I can also easily work on.

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine got replaced some number of miles before I got it..... Was glad to see that one less leak...