99 Tahoe will not crank.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

labguy6101

Reaction score
Hi
I have a 99 Tahoe and it will not crank. Thought it was the starter and replaced it but no luck.Battery is good wires to starter are good and starter is new, also all fuses are good. Don't have any idea where to start any help would be appreciated.:happy160:

Slammed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have a remote? If you do close doors hit lock then unlock lock again and wait 5 min unlock again with remote it should start

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does it have a click sound from under the hood at the drivers side (fuse/ relay center?)

If no, check at ignition switch yellow wire for 12v at crank.

If yes, try swapping the AC compressor relay for the crank relay.

labguy6101

Reaction score
I do not have a remote. There is no sound when key is turned, but I can here the fuel Pump running and the gauges and dash lights work, however the day time running lights do not turn on when the key is in the run position.

labguy6101

Reaction score
No sound when key is turned, but can hear fuel pump running, dash lights and gauges work but no day tome running lights.

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe a bad ignition switch, did you do a voltage check yet?

labguy6101

Reaction score
I haven't done a voltage check, wouldnt know where to start. After looking at some manuals it looks easer to replace the whole column than the switch and I have one. Any advice?

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ign Switch isnt hard. Trace down the wire from either the starter back or the switch to the starter, ground one end of a meter or a testlight. and probe the points at starter, relay and back of ign switch, the manual can tell you what wire colors and points to check.

labguy6101

Reaction score
Ignition switch

I installed a new ignition switch. Do I need to program it for it to work? What I mean is go through the on off sequence so the security will learn the new switch?
Thanks.

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Switch should be fine, chip is in column....