99 Yukon: Where is crankshaft position sensor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DaveEye

Reaction score
I previously posted about a problem starting the Yukon and then having it die after it has been running fine previously. I'm thinking it's the crankshaft position sensor and I'm going to replace it. Can someone tell me where it is located? I've found 2 references and they have it in different places:

1. Located behind starter, so I need to remove the starter to access it
  2. located behind the harmonic balancer in front of the oil pan

Secondly, there was a comment that indicates once the crankshaft position sensor is replaced, then some computer needs to be used to re-learn something:

If this is not the case, then the crankshaft position sensor is probibly bad. You can replace the sensor, but if you do, it will probably still not start because a computer will be needed to re-learn the Crankshaft Position sensor varaition.​

Is this correct? If so, does it require me to take it into the dealer for this procedure? Will it operate properly before the procedure? I've only seen this mentioned in one post so I'm doubtful it is accurate, but would appreciate some confirmation before I order the part.

The car is not starting in the mornings and dies about 2-3 times before it gets going, so I'd like to replace this quickly to avoid having it just quit running. Thanks.

bsamoul

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I previously posted about a problem starting the Yukon and then having it die after it has been running fine previously. I'm thinking it's the crankshaft position sensor and I'm going to replace it. Can someone tell me where it is located? I've found 2 references and they have it in different places:

1. Located behind starter, so I need to remove the starter to access it
  2. located behind the harmonic balancer in front of the oil pan

Secondly, there was a comment that indicates once the crankshaft position sensor is replaced, then some computer needs to be used to re-learn something:

If this is not the case, then the crankshaft position sensor is probibly bad. You can replace the sensor, but if you do, it will probably still not start because a computer will be needed to re-learn the Crankshaft Position sensor varaition.​

Is this correct? If so, does it require me to take it into the dealer for this procedure? Will it operate properly before the procedure? I've only seen this mentioned in one post so I'm doubtful it is accurate, but would appreciate some confirmation before I order the part.

The car is not starting in the mornings and dies about 2-3 times before it gets going, so I'd like to replace this quickly to avoid having it just quit running. Thanks.

Hey bro, I just replaced this sensor not even 2 weeks ago. It's right next to the starter on the crankshaft. Drove the truck on a ramp so I had more room, and you can see it sticking out and you don't have to remove the skid plate, if you have your new one you'll know what you're looking for. Just slap the new one on and you're ready to go. The computer doesn't need to relearn. All the sensor does is magnetically read where the crank is when it starts. There is no learning to be done.

DaveEye

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply! I have a Chilton's manual in transit, but I'm wanting to replace the crank position sensor ASAP in the hopes that this cures the problem of the engine cutting out.

jay3654

Reaction score
im glad i found this forum... im having the same problem with my truck.. i thought it was the fuel pump

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thingy #2 is a KNOCK Sensor, the Crank sensor is in the timing cover behind the harmonic balancer. The RELEARN does not HAVE to be redone and will usually run fine...