A/C Compressor Leaking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hoser

Reaction score
1996 Tahoe, 200k miles.

When I rebuild my engine I noticed the compressor was covered in green oil, no doubt it was compressor oil and it was leak tracer that made it green, whilst I had the compressor off to remove and reinstall the engine I cleaned up the compressor up, it looked new, so once it was installed I could pin point where it was leaking, now I have about 500 miles on the rebuild and the a/c it appears it is leaking on the body at the mechanical joints where its assembled, I am asking because I am hoping to run across someone that has had this problem before or has taken one apart and replaced the seals or gaskets.

Sure I can just go buy a new or rebuilt compressor so I dont need people to reply "replace it with a new or rebuilt one" I am not that kind of guy, I am also not just a parts changer type guy when it comes to fixing things that dont work :rolleyes: I want to fix it in a sensible way not just throw money at it, I am willing to bet its a simple expensive repair.

Anybody had one of these apart before?

Pics later when the sun is up :)

On a side note this compressor works perfectly and makes no noise, the clutch cycles perfectly and makes no noise, its just leaking from the case, I see no reason to trade it in on a rebuilt unit.

I have changed 4 compressors on other cars and trucks and had problems with each one, one they some how did not seat a snap ring properly so once the system was charged and I was taking the first road test a plug blew out spraying my whole pristine engine compartment with oil and freon in about 2.5 seconds, another the clutch lasted about a week and went bad, the 3rd started making noise after about 5k miles, another the front seal leaked after a few months.

FYI I do HVAC for a living so have some idea how they work.

Thanks in advance.

hoser

Reaction score
Here are some pics, arrows point to the source of the leaks.

Anybody have a break down pic of this compressor?

Attachments

• Dsc01958.jpg
    Dsc01958.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 42
  • Dsc01960.jpg
    Dsc01960.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 35
  • Dsc01963.jpg
    Dsc01963.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 32
  • DSC01964.JPG
    DSC01964.JPG
    73.6 KB · Views: 28

NoEcm

Reaction score
The Harrison HT6 compressor in your car has a design problem. The guys in the automotive A/C business refer to this compressor as "the belly leaker".

When the compressor was engineered, the barrel was not "keyed" to the front and rear covers....................after a while, the parts begin to twist and a leak develops.

In order to fix it long term and prevent leakage in the future, you would probably need to have the 3 parts machined so that they are "keyed" to prevent the twisting. This would not be an inexpensive repair.

I have replaced the compressor in both my Suburban and Tahoe with a Sanden HT6 ($195 on eBay). The Suburban was done 6 years ago and the Tahoe was done last year. Both are running ice cold in the summer with no leaks.

hoser

Reaction score
The Harrison HT6 compressor in your car has a design problem. The guys in the automotive A/C business refer to this compressor as "the belly leaker".

When the compressor was engineered, the barrel was not "keyed" to the front and rear covers....................after a while, the parts begin to twist and a leak develops.

In order to fix it long term and prevent leakage in the future, you would probably need to have the 3 parts machined so that they are "keyed" to prevent the twisting. This would not be an inexpensive repair.

I have replaced the compressor in both my Suburban and Tahoe with a Sanden HT6 ($195 on eBay). The Suburban was done 6 years ago and the Tahoe was done last year. Both are running ice cold in the summer with no leaks.

Thanks for the info I figured it was some sort of design problem.

Found a gasket kit.
http://www.acsource.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=520

Cant find a parts break down for this compressor but they have others.
http://www.acsource.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=854

Guess I will contact them to see if they have something, anybody know if the GM service manuals show compressor repairs or know of a manual for this compressor?

Thanks again.

hoser

Reaction score
Found more info about the problem on this site http://www.ackits.com/

Here is a snip it from a thread.

With so many compressors being cloned and shipped from many off shore locations it is small wonder that this compressor confusion exist.
The HT6 (GM) requires special handling at installation to aid in the prevention of case seal leaks. These case seal leaks can be apparent even in other GM models is installed incorrectly. Simply slapping the compressor onto the mounting surfaces and having a go at the mounting bolts with an air rachet or wrench will almost certainly cause possible case leaks.
Properly seating the compressor, insure that surfaces are parallel and clean, tightening the mounting bolts to decrease compressor movement and then using a torque wrench to establish a proper torque will aid in the reduction of case leaks. Remember in the early days of this compressor......a major remanufacture was buying new gut packs and installing the end caps and marketing the units as reman'd. Hand many gut pack leakage problems. The cause was a failure to insure proper placement of the end caps and the resultant twisting of the case/end caps at installation.
Proper installation is important for any compressor (to prevent case damage and stripped mountings) but the HT6 requires a bit of extra care.

Ice98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Leak stop wont work, I bought a rebuild kit for like $18, contains every gasket you could possibly need to rebuild the compressor.

These compressors are somewhat notorious for the seals going bad, and it seems pretty straightforward to fix it

However (and this is my problem too) it is expensive to buy a vacuum pump to properly vacuum the system and clean it out, which is important if you are wanting it to last for any decent length of time

What I bought (for a compressor rebuild and overall system maintain)
KT-HD6N Gasket kit (Rebuild kit for compressor, $16.50)
http://www.acsource.com/gasketkitfitsmodelsht6andhd6.aspx

4Seasons Accumulator (important to replace any time you have an open system, got this one on ebay for $19)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/A-C-Accumul...Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e8d3a2499&vxp=mtr

Cooling Depot Orifice Tube 38887 (sorta like a filter I guess, very cheap, only cost me a few bucks shipped )

Johnsons PAG 150 A/C oil (this is the type needed for this system running R-134A, it costs a few bucks by once you vacuum and refill your system it will be important to refill the oil too, there is a certain amount you should re-add to the system for each component, as some oil will be in the compressor and some in the accumulator)

Hope this helps, the first link for the gaskets if you search that page there is a diagram of how to rebuild the compressor, its pretty straightforward

Attachments

• DA6,HR6,HR6E%20fINAL.jpg
    DA6,HR6,HR6E%20fINAL.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 15

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, you are correct Ice it uses alot of air...... I picked up a used junk waterfountain that had a freon leak and took the compressor off of it cut an end off one of those cheap freon refill cans and hook it to my guages on the high side so I can suck down the hoses, system and guage, then when time to add freon there is ONLY Vac in system, have recently picked up a REAL vac pump from a buddy for $20.... it is much louder than the little compressor but does the same job.....

Ice98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To use that pump I gather you also need a manifold with gauges, hoses, adapters, etc?

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wouldnt hurt, but guess you could find a way....

Ice98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Harbor freight had a manifold kit half off, so I got the pump and manifold for $70 or so

Got a friend with an absolutely massive shop compressor, so now its just up to rebuilding the system and then waiting for it to warm up a bit outside for better vacuum results

c094728

Reaction score
Free loaner Vaccum Pump from AutoZone

Autozone has free loaner tools including vacuum pump and orifice remover tool. Just have to pay for but get refund when returning

Ice98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Autozone has free loaner tools including vacuum pump and orifice remover tool. Just have to pay for but get refund when returning

I may do that for convenience sake, after looking at a few videos on how to rebuild the compressor I decided that there was really too much involved having to deal with this removal tool and that removal tool and the shaft seal protector, plus getting the halves apart... I just don't have the time or place to do it, so I bought a new compressor

I will just take the old one and the gasket kit and sell it to someone who knows what they are doing, hopefully make a few bucks back

Ice98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didnt know they had vac pumps and such...

I checked at Oreilly and they didn't, it may just be autozone, or it may just have been that particular one, who knows

by any means I already purchased the venturi vacuum pump, but I need to borrow a buddie's compressor to use it

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah, many years ago I swiped a compressor off an old waterfountain that the condensor had developed a leak and it was junked, used it for years to suck down systems, then I bought a regular vac pump from a buddy that was getting rid of stuff.... much faster now..... Plus I love how it "burbles" (noise that it makes.)