A/c questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dkdesposito

Reaction score
Hey guys! New to the forum, I am workin on my '01 Tahoe and I've replaced the air conditioner compressor and accumulator along with some rings etc.. anyway I'm getting ready to put it all back together and couldn't find a solid answer about when and how to add the oil to the compressor and accumulator. Can I just hook it all back up run a vacuum on it for a few hours then fill it with oil through the same valve I fill it with the R-134A or do I pour it in the compressor and accumulator then hook it all up back up and run a vacuum??
Thanks in advance for the help

hysub10

Reaction score
I just replaced the exact same parts a couple of weeks ago.

1. Pour oil out of old accumulator into a cup or something you can measure the exact quantity in. Add exactly that much oil into the new accumulator. The new oil can be poured in either of the 2 ports. Before adding oil to new accumulator make sure it is empty.

2. Same deal with compressor. Pour oil out of old compressor & measure quantity. Pour oil out of new compressor, measure quantity. Compare the 2 quantities, they should be roughly the same. Add new oil to new compressor that is equal to the amount drained. It can be added to either port on the compressor although I added it to the suction port.

I'm not an auto a/c guy but I work with marine refrigeration units frequently. I researched the heck out of this before I did the a/c work. Lots of info available by Googling it and these forums.

I believe it's PAG46 oil that you add. I did not use the stuff in a pressurized can because there's no way to accurately measure the quantity you are putting in unless you have have a scale and that measures refrigeration ounces.

Some accumulators and compressors come with oil in them. Unless you drain them, you won't know how much is in them.

Run the vacuum after oil is added and system was reassembled.