Adding second battery /w Isolator and amp power

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ice98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I have many parts on order, and on the order of events is the following

1. Big 3 upgrade, much larger cables for the alternator, battery +, and ground cables
2. Upgrade from 105a to 140a alternator
3. Remove storage box and replace with Jegs battery holder
4. Run 2/0 and 2 gauge power and ground wires to batteries, alt, amp
5. Install 3kw 8 channel amp
6. Install battery isolator
7. Install new cable run for 3kw amp
8. Add a distribution block or relay in order to be able to run a large inverter off the same power wire as the amp (just not at the same time)
9. Install additional USB ports around the vehicle for phone/tablet charging purposes for passengers in 2nd/3rd row
10. Install USB charge ports, 12v socket, and voltage gauge in rear jack storage box
11. Install new 6x9 speakers to replace 4x10s in rear pillars
12. Install 6.5 midbass drivers in rear doors to match the same in front doors

I decided to do a smaller alternator upgrade than I had originally planned, the 3kw amp runs more like 1200w RMS at 4owm and with the second battery I should be ok with 140amps, though that may kill the alternators brushes a bit faster, Either way I really cant go wrong for $40, and if it dies I will just rebuild it or do a bigger upgrade

All of the cable I am using will be 2 or 2/0 gauge welding cable, it is much cheaper than buying "Audio grade" copper cabling and will accomplish the same goal. All the cable will be installed using military style battery terminals and crimp-on copper lugs, all the aftermarket connections will be made using these lugs rather than straight battery terminals, which should provide a far cleaner finished product and a better expandability if I ever need to run more wires

The amp will go under the passenger seat and is cooled with an added 12v computer fan, of which I may add another.

Will try to post more info and pictures as I move forward, hopefully I can finish this list in the next few months

Ice98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Swapped out (most of) my T10 lights with LED bulbs, also did the dome lights

the Domes are super bright now, the door safety lights and personal reading laps are replaced (except the rearmost) and the lights in the driver and passenger foot space are changed as well

As a note, it takes 4 for the doors, 6 for the reading lamps, 1 for the glovebox, and 2 for the floorboard lights, I ordered 10 so I had to order some more to finish the job

Here is a before/after shot
untitled_zpsvpegnjtu.png

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would just use the amp and inverter separately, no isolation between the two, both have cap banks that will benefit the other, been there done that.

Ice98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would just use the amp and inverter separately, no isolation between the two, both have cap banks that will benefit the other, been there done that.

I want to be able to turn the power off to one when using the other, the amount of power each draws is far too much for the alternator alone so running both would drain the batteries too quickly

The isolator will be between the two batteries, when the car is shut off the circuit will break, keeping the starter battery from draining while the radio/lights/etc are running

I am contemplating moving the starter motor to the 2nd battery, though I am not sure how I would accomplish that

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Either unit at an Idle will draw nothing as far as current goes...

The isolator is basically two giant diodes current flows from one post to two other posts but not backwards.

I would leave the starter on the first battery (original) as the cable run would be shorter and I don't know why you would want to move it anyway?

Ice98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Either unit at an Idle will draw nothing as far as current goes...

The isolator is basically two giant diodes current flows from one post to two other posts but not backwards.

I would leave the starter on the first battery (original) as the cable run would be shorter and I don't know why you would want to move it anyway?

So that the only thing the 2nd battery does is operates the starter, everything else (lights, stereo, amp, inverter, 12v sockets, etc) would run off the other battery

Alternatively I could just run new cabling to the main post on the fuse box, I think that is all on the drivers side as it is anyways...

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Starter wont do anything without power to anything else, if your primary dies the engine aint gonna start or run......

Ice98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the parts for the battery tray today, going to be something of a custom setup.... Also got most of the lugs put on cables and everything crimped, have the new wire harness for the alt and just got the Poly-V belt in today as well

Also got 2 6-way fuse boxes which will be installed on the end of 4-ga runs of wire and used to power 12v and USB sockets as well as accent lights and whatever else I might want, thinking of putting one in the overhead compartments (all of which are useless at the moment) and one in the center console (lots of room to play with)

Also got a cargo box to go on top, cheap deal but needed TLC, tore it apart, scrubbed it back to white with bleach, sanded and painted the metal bits, replaced all the rusty bolts and screws, and got a mounting kit. Adding a new lifter, new foam, and a solar charged battery to run a light when it is opened

So many projects.

This isolator is more of a high-amp solenoid, it completes a circuit when power is applied to an activation pole, and when that power stops it breaks the circuit, it can handle 150amps continuously and 300 amps max, I actually went with one billed as a solenoid relay (although it is more or less the same thing) This one is actually made to run a golf cart motor, press the pedal, current flows. The price was far cheaper than most isolators and it accomplishes the same thing at the amp ratings I need

I did finish getting the LED lights installed in all the door safety lights, dome lamps, footwell lights, and reading lamps. Cant figure out how to get the license lights out to replace those though

Ice98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the battery tray mocked up and installed

Installed the 140w amp

Installed the big3 upgrade to the stock battery

Installed second battery with isolator and cables/grounds

Seems to be working, but hard to tell if the isolator is active or not....going to eventually get a voltage gauge installed for each of the batteries

Ice98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pics of the second battery installation, I neglected to take pics of the tray as I mocked it up, I couldn't find any of the stock trays for sale and the out of stock items were priced at almost 3x the jegs tray I got, took some hardware and a little custom fabbing but it worked

Added 2/0 gauge power wire to the new aux battery
Added 140 amp alt
Added additional 2 gauge power wire to main battery
Added dual 2 gauge grounds to aux battery
Added additional 2 gauge ground to main battery
Aux battery is fused at 250amps
Added 150continuous/300peak relay between aux battery and alt (cuts off when car is off)

20160307_183304_zpstqbrwcwe.jpg

20160307_183246_zpsva1qnpzf.jpg

20160307_183310_zpsc3rv5ysa.jpg

Ice98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is where the current 1000w hifonix amp is installed under the passenger seat. This will be replaced with a 2/0 wire run to the aux battery and a 3000w pyle elite series and will eventually be relocated under the drivers seat

2nd picture is the head unit, which flows through a ton of colors or can be set to specific colors

the mess is ABC extinguisher, I had one in there and the pin popped out and the whole thing dumped

20160307_183218_zpsfptq8eje.jpg

20160307_182934_zps0ivsawsz.jpg

Blue LED Dash lights
20160307_182929_zpsrijouxcs.jpg

Bazooka Tube on top of right 3rd row arm rest
20160307_183200_zpsossswltr.jpg

Last edited:

Ice98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LED Light replacements, including under the hood, dome lights, map/reading lamps, door safety lights, and floor lights

20160307_183332_zpsnjzt35ip.jpg

20160307_183132_zpsbj7qvsc0.jpg

untitled_zpsvpegnjtu.png

20160307_183006_zpslrj5cl38.jpg

20160307_183019_zpsmi6nzj15.jpg

Ice98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hellwig helper springs, add an additional 2,000 pounds of weight capacity to the spring pack (or so they claim) and bolt right over the stock, really helps the saggy spring issue on these heavy suburbans and the company was excellent with their service

20160307_183441_zpsphawmn2z.jpg

20160307_183423_zpsiciaqzt4.jpg

LS Tahoe1999

Reaction score
Is that on a suburban ? My Tahoe has the same 5 leafs just like yours . Did the added leaf pick up the ride hieght and do they work good towing ? What kind tongue weight do you have ?

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk