advise on instaling drop down dvd players

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chronoboy

Reaction score
Ok so this is going to be the first thing i do to my 07 tahoe, i just purchased two drop down dvd players, one for the middle seating and one for the third row seating, now the units i ordered have built in cargo lights so i am woundering if i can wire the power to the unit to the power wire of the stock cargo light that i plan on taking out and installing the dvd unit at? another thing is these units come with two wirless headsets each and they have fm transmitors to use the car audio but i have read bad reviews on the sound qaulity useing the transmitor, it has audio out plug ins on it and was woundering if the stock HU has audio In jacks on it so i could just hardwire the units sound to the car audio?

clkelley

Reaction score
I honestly don't know. I would think that you would need larger gauge wiring for the dvd players, but I can't say for sure. I am NOT what you call an electronics guru...lol But, let this serve as a free BUMP to the top of the new posts, there are a few guys here that are gurus....

gibsonsynthetics

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, I am not so sure about the stock head unit has audio in jacks, but you are only a few bolts away from it. On most vehicles the dash comes off just by pulling them and they have a few clips on the back that hold them in place. After removing that there are usually 2 or 4 bolts/screws or clips holding the head unit in place. In the back of the head unit you will see your standard audio in ports (I have even seen some head units that have multiple in and out).

Okay, now on to the wiring. First the basics, almost all electronics run on 12V, which all wiring will carry. BUT, the difference is the amount of Amps that a wire can carry before overheating and then frying the circuits. The larger the wire the larger the amps. This being said there are also 2 ways to wire things, in parallel and in series. One which you run individual wires to each unit, and one wear you run a single wire which splits when you get to the first unit and then continues to the other (kinda like a fork in a single road).

So to answer your question, do you need to change the wires. Probably not, but I could not tell you for certain without knowing which DVD players you have and how much power they will need to run. But, if you were to install them on the current wires. Chances are the worst that happens is you blow a fuse, and need a larger fuse. If that happens I would only go up a small jump, if you have a 10A fuse I would only put a 15A in. If you blow that fuse, I would recommend re-wiring the system.

If you decide to re-wire the system off from the get-go (my personal suggestion, I am a fan of doing things once and doing them with the highest quality I can. Who knows maybe I will want to upgrade in the future and will just need to do a quick install because I over-prepared the first time). Because they are very small lights they are probably 16 or 18 gauge wires (I would bet 18). When doing the upgrade if you chose to run one wire and do the split, I would go no higher than a 12 gauge wire. If you chose to run 2 individual wires I would run no more than 14 gauge.

But, to decide what gauge is really outside of my knowledge. The larger the gauge the higher the Amps it can carry, but the more resistance it has. So, that means you use more power to run said unit. The same theory is true with smaller wires, but vise versa (smaller gauge, lower resistance). One might think that is a good thing... which is true for running of of a battery. But, there is less mass for heat dispersion so there is where you can melt things.

Please feel free to give me a shout with any questions. I am always happy to help and love hearing what people are doing with their cars, as my truck is an everlasting project of mine.

Good Luck,
Ross

chronoboy

Reaction score
thanks for the info, when I get the units tomarrow "hopefully" I'll see what the power specs are and I'll pop off the cargo light and see what guage there working with.

chronoboy

Reaction score
not really, the lights on the unit turn on and off with the door opening/closeing, but when you turn on the lights manually on the unit it still turns on all three cargo lights, i think i could fix this with a relay but it dont bother me anough to deal with right now.

gibsonsynthetics

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha! On the positive side, I guess you don't have to worry about anyone leaving the lights on in the back where you can't reach them... But, if you were to install a relay that would definitely solve your problem.

Congrats on the install!