Alternator or Generator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jwthomas

Reaction score
New Tahoe. After the first 800 miles; the voltmeter stayed pegged at 14 VDC, regardless of electrical load. After a 200 mile trip today, the voltmeter alternates between 14 VDC and 12.5 VDC with the same load. The service department says that this is normal. They also claim that this car has a generator - not an alternator. The last generator I had was on my 1956 chevy. Are there any wrenches out there that can clear this up for me?
thanks
jwt

wblakeney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have noticed the same with my new Tahoe. Check the manual at page 6-8. It says this is normal and there is an Electric Power Management system that adjusts the voltage to prolong battery life. It uses the term generator so maybe they went back to the old generator and added electronics to it.

jwthomas

Reaction score
thank you for your response. I was just confused that the voltmeter was rock-solid for the first 800 miles then started bouncing around.
jwt

stealibg

Reaction score
I am going to watch mine now, I am roughly... 700 miles thanks!