alternator questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ccapehart1017

Reaction score
what is the tiny post for on the back of the alternator on my tahoe that has the tiny wire going to the red box some guys are out there saying part of the big 3 upgrade is connecting a zero guage wire from that post to the positive on yer battery and i dont think that does anything

Tex99Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On mine, there's 2 wires. The heavy guage red wire has a lug that attaches to a screw post on the back of the alternator, other end goes to the battery, this is the main charging line. The other wire is small/black, plugs into a socket on the rear/side of the alternator. It goes into the wire harness and signals when you have a charging system failure.

ccapehart1017

Reaction score
okay theres no socket or plug when you remove the rubber gromet its a wire attached a post with a 10mm nut the other end goes to a little red box i havent touched the harness on the other side of the alternator
so from the red box to the alternator remove the rubber thing and there is a post
what is that for is that a positive lead or ground cuz that is were the zero guage wire is going from there to the positive on tha battery terminal
can you do me a favor if possible if you have a smart phone snap a pic of that area in your tahoe and post it ill snap one of mine to and you can tell me if i did it right

ccapehart1017

Reaction score
here we are

Attachments

• WP_20130910_003[1].jpg
    WP_20130910_003[1].jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 10
  • WP_20130910_001[1].jpg
    WP_20130910_001[1].jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 12

ccapehart1017

Reaction score
the ground goes to the engine block and the other one goes to the same place the previous ground was

then the large zero guage wire is going from that terminal on the alternator to the positive termon the battery

and the factory postive cable i left alone hooked to the side battery terminal

also another question that wire is awfully close to the engine block i wrapped it in that silver crap the factory wire was wrapped
im afraid that ground wire to the block is not heat resistant enough as the facotry stuff