Amsoil ATF

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cadyshac

Reaction score
I have a '08 Tahoe, a week ago I changed the tranny fluid to amsoil, 56,000 miles. I pulled a cooler line and pumped out all the old dexron and replaced all the fluid with amsoil, also did the filter change. Now I am getting a weird gear oil smell even though the tranny is running cool, maybe 185 in city traffic, more like 165 on the highway. Anyone else experience this? Also the tranny has slipped a couple of times under hard acceleration, anyone experience this? I am starting to wish I had left well enough alone.

goat364

Reaction score
We put amsoil atf in my buddys 03 silverado but we just sucked out what we could through the dipstick, then dropped the pan, changed the filter, and refilled to proper level. Did you put as much fluid back in as you took out? Because im guessing that there could be an air pocket somewhere that doesn't make the fluid level read low on the dipstick. I like going to a shop that has the machine that forces new fluid in as it takes the old out for my trans fluid changes. Thats why i have amsoil everywhere in my 04 tahoe except the trans and transfer case. As for the smell...i bet you have atf on something that gets warm, but not hot enough to burn it off. So when it gets warmed up enough it lets off a smell, like a crappy smelling glade plugin!

cadyshac

Reaction score
I drained and replaced all the fluid and the filter. My level actually reads a little high when cold, not low. I have driven it over 500 miles and the smell is not going away. I am wondering if the dealer could have had a "special sauce" in the tranny to disguise any issues it may have had, when I drained it out and replaced the fluid the problem reappeared??