Any one done a thermostat change?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stockergt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was told that if I put in a 160degree thermostat the 6.0L motor performs like a vette. Any one done this?

HitandRunDriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
actually i've seen "performance" thermostats like that and thy make claims of enhanced power but i highly doubt anythings really happening

MikeCallery

Reaction score
The thermostat is certainly not going to give you any performance modification. It simply allows the engine to run a little cooler if you have mods installed and helps overall performance in that the engine is better running cool than hot. I wouldn't jump on this purchase if you are looking at performance options.

Design

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thread jacking
Could anyone tell me where the thermostat is located on the 4.8/5.3? I know that it was in the on the front end of the block on older SBC but is it about the same location on these motors? Summers here in Texas get 100 plus for several days and consitently in the 90+ range so I had planned on running a cooler t-stat and a higher concentration of water and some water wetter or Royal Purple's ICE stuff.

shadow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Be careful about "reducing the operating temp" of your engine.

Minimum wear occurs at the spec temp (195 degrees). Lower temp that about 180 degrees increases wear on your engine, decreases efficiency also.

Make sure the thermostat you install is of the "high flow" capacity (Robershaw type - google that and you will learn a lot), and if it fails, it fails in the "open" postion (Robertshaw type does), not the closed position.

Mr. Gasket makes this type under liscense I believe, at least they do for an old Corvette of mine that I did put one of these into.

tspain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A thermostat is not going to give you more performance, especially making your truck "run like a vette".

Thread jacking
Could anyone tell me where the thermostat is located on the 4.8/5.3? I know that it was in the on the front end of the block on older SBC but is it about the same location on these motors? Summers here in Texas get 100 plus for several days and consitently in the 90+ range so I had planned on running a cooler t-stat and a higher concentration of water and some water wetter or Royal Purple's ICE stuff.

The thermostat is on the side of the water pump. See pic below...

thermostat.gif

shadow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ques for TSPAIN - GM Tech

TS -

My '00 Tahoe 5.3L is at 97K miles now.

Runs good, have always serviced it per spec, except I've done my oil with synthetic (M1 - 5W or 10W-30) at 3K - 4K intervals with Puralator Pure One or AC Delco filters.

Was thinking of doing the following maintenance items, and was wondering what your thoughts are on it -

1. Plugs and wires (was going to use original GM plugs and wires)
2. Change alternator, water pump, thermostat, pulleys and hoses

Regarding 1., the plugs and wires, would you change them out now or at 100K even though the engine is running good?

Regarding 2., except for the hoses (which I am probably past due on), what is your experience on the life of these other items? Should folks routinely change these out at 100K miles or so, or wait for them to die first?

Thanks in advance for any info -

thearch

Reaction score
The thermostat trick does have an effect but it will also cause a rough idle and usually is not worth the difference that you will feel.

tspain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TS -

My '00 Tahoe 5.3L is at 97K miles now.

Runs good, have always serviced it per spec, except I've done my oil with synthetic (M1 - 5W or 10W-30) at 3K - 4K intervals with Puralator Pure One or AC Delco filters.

Was thinking of doing the following maintenance items, and was wondering what your thoughts are on it -

1. Plugs and wires (was going to use original GM plugs and wires)
2. Change alternator, water pump, thermostat, pulleys and hoses

Regarding 1., the plugs and wires, would you change them out now or at 100K even though the engine is running good?

Regarding 2., except for the hoses (which I am probably past due on), what is your experience on the life of these other items? Should folks routinely change these out at 100K miles or so, or wait for them to die first?

Thanks in advance for any info -

Okay, plugs are due at 100k. Use the factory ACDelco platinum plugs. Wires, I wouldn't replace them unless your having a problem with one, or if while removing them, one of them comes apart. We hardly ever change them.

Don't touch the alternator unless there is something wrong with it. Also, there is no reason to replace the pulleys either. I've never replaced one in the 8 years I've been in the dealership.

Thermostat, sure. It's cheap insurance. And I would replace all the hoses also. (rec at 75,000 if they are soft/spongy). If the water pump isn't leaking, then don't replace it. Just check everything over on your truck when you change the oil in it. Check for leaks, etc.

Other than that, fuel filter, rear differential fluid change, and get a transmission flush, not just pull the pan and replace the filter. You need to have it flushed to get all the old fluid out of the converter and internals of the tranny.

jpmaniac87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, from what i've heard, the low temp just pumps more fuel into the engine to "warm it up". This will slightly increase performance, yet mileage will decrease much more than it is worth. It is a jeep trick that some people use, i'm not sure if it's the same with the 5.3 as opposed to the 4.0 in my Cherokee. My .02

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright guys, sorry about hijacking a thread, but what do you guys think about a high flow version of the same temp thermostat, any of you do it to your rides? I tow a toyhauler and when going up big hills I am constantly playing with the motor to keep the temps from pegging too high while trying to get up and over the hill (I know, get myself a diesel truck instead, I would but that is a long story). Basically, I want to help it cool off quicker then it does by getting more water to flow through the radiator and was thinking about switching mine out to a high flow model (If they make one for it) as well as some electric fans. What do you guys think?

shadow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Thomas.

Always good to check with an expert first I always say!

Think I will bite the bullet and have my dealer do the trans service (with the flush) when I do the 100K service.

Regards -

shadow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Flow thermostat - electric fans

Alright guys, sorry about hijacking a thread, but what do you guys think about a high flow version of the same temp thermostat, any of you do it to your rides? I tow a toyhauler and when going up big hills I am constantly playing with the motor to keep the temps from pegging too high while trying to get up and over the hill (I know, get myself a diesel truck instead, I would but that is a long story). Basically, I want to help it cool off quicker then it does by getting more water to flow through the radiator and was thinking about switching mine out to a high flow model (If they make one for it) as well as some electric fans. What do you guys think?

It sure will not hurt anything, but, check your fan clutch to make sure that it is still good. I don't think you should be overheating with the stock system.

I put a high flow therm. in my old Corvette, called a "Robertshaw" type - higher flow, and if it fails, it fails in the "open" position, not the "closed" postition. Google it, you will find out some interesting info.

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info Shadow, I have looked into that type of thermostat for other rigs that I have owned but not for my yukon yet. I will check the fan and see if it is ok as well!! Thanks again!!

72hotrod

Reaction score
2001-2003 thermostat is integral with housing. 2004 up use different set-up with different water pump. I don't know if that is a cooling upgrade. Stock thermostat is fine; if you want better cooling, replace your fan clutch if over 3 years old. Also, upgrade your transmission cooler to a larger one. Even for towing, the thermostat should be fine, but you might look into a larger radiator.

brymed79

Reaction score
can Jennabear or Boost chime in on their opions on this. Thanks in advance.