Anyone tried this Ethos stuff?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bzbatl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I'm trolling on atlantagasprices.com (checks all the lowest gas prices around the city) and there's been this big ad in the middle for a product called "Ethos".

Anyone tried it? It's supposedly a big bottle of biodegradable esters that improves gas mileage.

I might get a couple bottles and run a report if it hasn't been tried before.

I'm currently getting ~380 miles to each tank with the mods I've done. I'd love to see a 20% mileage increase (but I'm a huge skeptic).

ryandavenport

Reaction score
I'm actually a jeep owner right now but am looking to get a Yukon Denali so I joined the site to figure out everything about them. What i do is add 5 ounces of acetone to 20 gallons of gas. This has increased my mileage from 13 in the city to about 16 or 17. On the highway it went up from 19 to about 22. This is with a 2 inch lift kit and 31 inch buckshots on a 1997 Grand Cherokee 4wd. Thanks for all your help. -ryan

dub02gpgt

Reaction score
i am always skeptical of these but i would be very interested to here from someone what if any improvements it has made to these vehicle!

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...What i do is add 5 ounces of acetone to 20 gallons of gas. This has increased my mileage from 13 in the city to about 16 or 17. On the highway it went up from 19 to about 22...

Wow -- sounds too good to be true.

Good luck on your fuel pump / line replacement! :sla:

Seriously tho -- how long have you done that -- any problems at all? Know anyone else who's done that?

YukonJacks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I'm trolling on atlantagasprices.com (checks all the lowest gas prices around the city) and there's been this big ad in the middle for a product called "Ethos".

Anyone tried it? It's supposedly a big bottle of biodegradable esters that improves gas mileage.

I might get a couple bottles and run a report if it hasn't been tried before.

I'm currently getting ~380 miles to each tank with the mods I've done. I'd love to see a 20% mileage increase (but I'm a huge skeptic).

How big is your tank, I have a 2000 Yukon with a 5.3 and I get about 260 mi to a tank.

Alex33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How big is your tank, I have a 2000 Yukon with a 5.3 and I get about 260 mi to a tank.

that is pretty bad. I have a 2000 SLT w/ the 5.3 and 20s and I get 335-345/tank if i'm really goosin' it around the city and more like 375-385/tank on the highway. True, I don't run my tank dry, I fill up when the light comes on, so I only need to put about 20gal in.

YukonJacks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that is pretty bad. I have a 2000 SLT w/ the 5.3 and 20s and I get 335-345/tank if i'm really goosin' it around the city and more like 375-385/tank on the highway. True, I don't run my tank dry, I fill up when the light comes on, so I only need to put about 20gal in.

must be the Atlanta Air. I tip my hat to you if in fact you are getting those mpg's on a tank. I am a skeptic and find it hard to believe your "00" slt and mine are so out of comparison especially considering I recently changed plugs and wires and went to all synthetic fluids, the milage did not change noticably.
If in fact that is true you deserve bragging rights, I have yet to hear of anyone getting that good of gas milage.

Alex33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not in Atl, I'm in Tucson, Az. As for the mileage, it still only works out to 15-16city and 17-18hwy, nothing to brag about by any means. When I can get an avg of 20mpg, then I'll start singing praises. I would seriously look at why you are getting such poor mileage. At 260mi/tank, assuming you put 21gal in between fillups, you are only getting ~12mpg. That is def something to ask your dealer or local mechanic about, especially if you are driving a relatively unmodded truck.

Btw, my tank holds ~26gal and the gas light comes on when I've burned 20-21 gallons. I hear some of the 6.0L Denalis, Escalades and HD trucks get the 32 gallon tank though.

99TAHOE22'S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i got a 1999 with 22's with i believe a 22 gal tank and I can get 400 mils to a tank or abput 18mpg

chrias

Reaction score

Is your speedo calibrated for your wheel size? If not then your calculations are going to be wrong.

I have a 2000 NBS Suburban and I'm only getting around 12-13 mpg in the city. My speedo is also calibrated to my 22s.

Alex33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is your speedo calibrated for your wheel size? If not then your calculations are going to be wrong.

I have a 2000 NBS Suburban and I'm only getting around 12-13 mpg in the city. My speedo is also calibrated to my 22s.

The outside diameter of my current wheel/tire combo is the same as the stock wheel/tire combo, so no recalibration was needed. The tire size I chose was selected for just that reason.