Battery Drain

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Timad

Reaction score
Hey All,
I have a 2000 Tahoe, 2wd, 127K miles.
Lately I have experienced the battery drained overnight or during the work day.
The battery is new 8-2015 and load tests ok with 100 amp resistive test bank.
Static voltage of battery is 12.75 v.

Alternator is assumed original (Delphi). Not shorted and raises the battery voltage to 14.75 v at idle. Plus once the vehicle is jump started or battery re-charged it will run indefinitely with no battery drain, with headlights on etc.

My troubleshooting efforts started by putting a VOM in series with battery to measure the ampere flow. I started with 1.26 Amperes upon connecting the VOM. Over a period 5-10 min I could hear a relay clicked a couple times inside the cabin and the amperes dropped to 0.24 A. At this point I began pulling fuses and relays one at a time. Finally the TBC fuse dropped the current draw to 0.008 amperes. Over a couple hours the current draw drops to 0.005 a.
I have pulled every fuse, relay etc. and left the battery disconnected for 12 + hrs. Haven't confirmed anything yet.

At one point I caught the ignition switch acting up,,,,, with the battery fully recharged I attempted to start the vehicle and got the starter solenoid clicking, I immediately returned the ignition key switch to off position and tried it again and it started as normal!!! So I am suspecting something could be intermittent with the ignition key switch.
Question - is the key switch serviceable, as far and cleaning contacts, etc? How to best pursue troubleshooting the key switch?

Currently the battery is re-connected and the vehicle is setting (not driving yet) and has started everyday (2days) since all the exploratory troubleshooting. I have obviously got close to the root cause but unsure where to start double checking or reenact the original battery drain issue.

Is it possible the computer re-set itself after being powered down for an extended time?

Any comments would be appreciated.
Tim

Timad

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Tony.

Yes I have checked the battery cables. In fact the last thing I did was remove the terminal studs from the connectors rubber boots, clean the terminals, installed new studs & tightened well.

Excellent point, probably wouldn't hurt to check the opposite ends of the battery cables.

Thanks again for your comment.
Tim