bearing noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ezstriper

Reaction score
have a 04 tahoe, std 4x4 that has had a bearing noise that seems to be coming from the front, noticible from about 15mph thru about 45, makes no different turning the steering left or right, had a GM tech ride with me and he was thinking it was from the rear and transferring up...don't think so....at about 20 or so and slowing down you can feel it thru the steering wheel slightly...had it for a couple of years now..thought it was from the tires I put on..now changed the tires and it's still there..has a little over 60k miles, have changed both diff fluids..synthetic... any idea's ? with std 4x4 in 2wd position does ft diff run ? Thanks Rob

smorse52

Reaction score
I seem to be having the same exact problem with my truck. My vehicle only has about 35k miles on it and it's an 07. I have brought it several places looking for an answer and they all say im crazy, but something feels like it is rubbing to me. Feels like it is the driver side tire. It has been like that for a while. What should I tell the dealer to look for as a test for these bearings, since none of the techies seem to have sensitivity to the floorboard? It is extremely obvious to my wife and I but not to any repair shops. We rotated tires, checked brakes, turned rotors and took numerous road trips with shop owners. No luck

ezstriper

Reaction score
I ended up replacing mine, was not a big deal if you know what you are doing, found the drivers side adjuster lock had broken and allowed it to back off killing the drivers side carrier bearing. we ran min on a lift in 4wd and you could pick up the the noise with a stethoscope that way...quiet as a mouse now..Rob

CHINO64

Reaction score
Rear differential

They said I was crazy too until the service rep finally listened to what I had to say. They had replaced the carriage bearings and the pinion bearing and wow, the noise went away. My 07 LTZ with 48K on it. I was glad it was covered under warranty like the transmission going out at 37K with a bad sprag clutch.

Bobc

Reaction score
I have an 07 LT with 60K miles. Subtle left front rotational noise started about 1K miles ago. Getting gradually louder (especially noticable at 15-25 MPH) but not audible over radio or even heater motor. especially noticable on when coasting to a slow stop. Not related to breaking, 4WD engaged or not or particular trans gear. Can I assume that this is a bearing of some type as well? Still have warranty and want to direct the dealer, thansk for any input..

turbo78vair

Reaction score
Left front hub bearing

Our Tahoe is a 2005 Z71 with 83k miles. Started noticing a shake in the wheel, slight pull to the right, and also pull right on braking. It is being repaired as we speak by the local Chev dealer. RF hub bearing was bad. Sure is expensive along with new brake pads, reface rotors and alignment. Extended warranty is covering some of the cost.
Take care - stay warm
Gary - Franklin, IN

smorse52

Reaction score
Dont you have 100k mile warranty on powertrain? That should be under standard warranty. It was nearly 700$ for mine but it was all warrantied.

Bobc

Reaction score
Hub Bearing noise on 07 Tahoe

Thanks all, When I took my 2007 Tahoe to the dealer, I gave them direction as to what I thought this noise was. They confirmed it was the bearing hub and replaced it under the power train warranty.