Black smoke from exhaust pipe!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChevyCantstop

Reaction score
Well... Today I went to start up my car and when I did I saw black smoke go past the passenger window so I go out I and black smoke was every where not to mention last night wating in a line to get my food reagular white smoke was just shooting out of the exhaust pipes I'm not sure if I should keep driving the car like this i noticed the white smoke once but I went away and I just forgot about it but I don't think I should be driving this truck until I figure out what's wrong....Man this sucks I have to Drive the Charger today UGGG!!!!:naughty::superhack::superhack:

MO Viet Vet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, as with any post, it would help with the year, make and model and whether you have any CEL. What engine is in the rig? The reason I ask for so many details is that for one you started out calling the vehicle a car and then a truck later in the post. Secondly, because some rigs have pattern failures we need details. If you ask for help here at any time for your rig, we need all details. C'mon man!

ChevyCantstop

Reaction score
So, as with any post, it would help with the year, make and model and whether you have any CEL. What engine is in the rig? The reason I ask for so many details is that for one you started out calling the vehicle a car and then a truck later in the post. Secondly, because some rigs have pattern failures we need details. If you ask for help here at any time for your rig, we need all details. C'mon man!

It's a 2007 Chevy Tahoe LS trim 5.3l v8 flex fuel

MO Viet Vet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First off because of the white smoke you talked about, check the coolant level and report back. The black smoke is typically caused by a rich run condition indicating too much fuel to cylinders. You did not say whether you have a CEL. That is important to know. If you have too much fuel to the cylinder, meaning a rich run condition, then you could have oxygen sensor problems or a vacuum leak problem causing the system to run richer from sensor readings, fuel pressure regulator problems....etc.

ChevyCantstop

Reaction score
Weeks!!!!!

First off because of the white smoke you talked about, check the coolant level and report back. The black smoke is typically caused by a rich run condition indicating too much fuel to cylinders. You did not say whether you have a CEL. That is important to know. If you have too much fuel to the cylinder, meaning a rich run condition, then you could have oxygen sensor problems or a vacuum leak problem causing the system to run richer from sensor readings, fuel pressure regulator problems....etc.

Yeah.... I checked all the coolant levels and they were fine and yeah my Tahoe has a CEL and stabilitrack off traction control off and the traction control light is on and also service tire monitoring system (broken tire sensor) the car is badly vibrating and the RPMS jump to 2500 when car is in park and when taken.Out of park the car leaps forward also banging into gears is getting pretty annoying too.that has been doing it for 2 weeks also now back again to Chevy dealership and found out that it's a cylinder 6 misfire and its either my spark plugs which were replaced 2 months ago!!!. And it's either my spark plug cord either of which my car is out of warranty and its coming out of my pocket I already have to pay becuase they inspected the car this has been a terrible 2 weeks all together also I found out that the car needs two oxygen sensors and much more but also my 4dr NON-ISSUELESS JAGUAR(being sarcastic) is being even worse two cars that have to be payed for to be fixed and the jaguar dealership says that it is going to be really expensive for what they need to get done replace pipes,after pipes it's sad now I can't even drive the freaking thing becuase the hood won't open on the passenger side(becuase car leaks antifreeze terribly) and the black guard that needs to be taken off is going to take a hell of a long time to get off and I don't have time for to do that myself becuase I'm so busy trying to get my daily driver Tahoe fixed too it's just been a hell of 2 terrible weeks!!!:(