Blast furnace

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dr. Overkill

Reaction score
So I'm driving home the other night and I crack open the windows a bit as it's pretty muggy but not bad enough to turn on the A/C. As soon as I did so, I felt a blast furnace of hot air cooking my shins.

Closed the windows, and the hot air stops. Crack just the passenger window, hot air starts. Just the driver window, hot air starts.

Hmm. Get home, crawl on the floormat and see that there's a boot of some sort where the steering column enters that looks like it's loose or broken. (The boot being on the other side of the firewall.) Wiggle it and sure enough it's just flopping around.

Every time I'd open a window, it would cause a vacuum and suck freshly cooked air from the engine compartment into the cab. Nice.

I took a peek at it from under the hood, but it was just too freakin hot in there and it was too close to the headers to mess with. I wasn't able to pull it through from under the dashboard.

I looked at it more closely today and realized that the reason I couldn't just pop it back into the hole was because there's a tab on the boot and slot in the bottom of the hole, that have to line up.

Once lined up, it took a little persuasion but I got the boot flange pulled in as best I could. It seems as if it just holds via friction. It it pops out again soon, I may see what I can do with a couple zip ties or safety wire down there, but for now, my shins are much happier :lol:

_dennis

sasquatch094

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HAHa nice. thatd be pretty sweet in the winter tho man.. crack the back windows and bam Hot ASs Air.. lol..

bebop

Reaction score
The same exact thing happened with mine!! I just ended sticking the boot back into the firewall. I don't think I lined anything up either. Just jammed it in. So far I haven't had any problems. It's been about 2 months also. I don't have it lined up because it looks like it is folded over in the hole, but it felt pretty secure and there was no air leak.

Dr. Overkill

Reaction score
Well, the turd came out again. Another singed-hair day for my shins.

I put the boot back in and turned the wheel a few times. It seems the boot is grabbing on to the steering column a bit, and it's just working the boot downward over time. I shot a bunch of silicone spray lube in there while turning the wheel back and forth to work it in, and hopefully that will keep the boot in place longer this time.