Bosch Platinum +4 Spark Plugs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

squeasel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have long term experience with the Bosch Platinum+4 spark plugs in a 5.7L Vortec? Mine has no mods save for a throttle body extender.

TCMERICK

Reaction score
Lesterl,

From your reply, I know that you do not care for the Bosch Platinum +4 spark plugs. I am curious to know why you don't think they are worth the money. I too was contimplating using them as well, but I do not want to waste the money if there is no benefit. My alternative would be the AC Delco Platinums, any opinion on those? What plugs would you recommend?

Thanks,

TCMERICK

Reaction score
I have done some research on line and it seems as though all "performance" type plugs have outlandish claims about gaining HP and MPG. All of them have testimonials of good and bad. Do they really offer any kind of performance advantage? I have seen some reports whare people have done tests and claim NO difference between a standard plug and a performance plug, in regards to HP & MPG. I do however believe that standard platinum plugs are superior to regular plugs, just because their useable life is extended in my opinion. I will typically buy parts that I feel will function better or offer an extended period of use (basically quality over cheap stuff). I would be interested in any feedback other members may have.

squeasel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did buy the Bosch Plat +4's yesterday on the recommendation of a friend who has 50K+ miles with them on a late 80's 5.7L (I highly regard his opinion on these matters). As far as price, the Plat+4's are in the mid-range of platinum plugs (about $5 @ NAPA, $6 @ Kragen, or whatever it has become). The Bosch plugs replaced an AC Delco Platinum set whose service date is unknown. As expected, there was no change in the Cold Start issue I have with the 1996 Tahoe. Also, as expected, power was very much up and so was idle smoothness mostly due to fresh plugs rather than the particular brand, I suspect. Unfortunately for comparison purposes, I also found that I had some blockage in the air box which I cleared so I can't say that the new plugs were completely responsible for the better performance. I'll report any plug performance issues over time.

Last edited:

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put a set of NGK's in my last 2 vehicles, have been happy with them, the last set of single plat Bosch I installed were crap, I hate working on Bosch products (appliances) with a passion, IMHO Bosch just all around sucks....... Good luck, I was a Bosch fan for many years untill my last few progressively worse plug changes.....

hshark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use the Bosch platinum 4 plugs. They seem to work good. I have always liked running Bosch on my sbc they seem to take well. I've had NGK they are good but I prefer Bosch over NGK. Plus they come ready to install (with a little anti-seize).

Gregski

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wars have been fought over what plugs to run, LOL, I rather replace OEM plugs every 50,000 miles than run fancy shmancy ones that cost three times as much and offer "better" performance, is it three times better I ask myself, LOL

my co worker has a Suburban of our generation he recently told me how it started to run crappy so he had his mechanic replace the O2 sensors, god knows what other sensors to the tune of $800 bucks when my buddy finally asked him could it be the new plugs, his mechanic said what new plugs I replaced your plugs with AC Delco ones so and so ago, my buddy said I know but a couple of weeks ago I replced them with these two prong jobies that I read on the Internet were the reason why Jesus walked on water, long story short, the mechanic replaced the plugs with OEMs and the Burban ran good again, the sad part was my buddy could not return any of the new sensors, true story, I will ask him what plugs they were and add that later

mdf307

Reaction score
Ive worked in a Mechanic shop for a few years, im no professional, however the guys i worked with have been doing it for 30-40 years now. I too ran the Bosch Plat 4's in my '99 Denali 5.7L and they said it was a waste of money. In a high performance engine it would make sense, but in a small block chevy engine its just not necessary...like putting premium fuel in a 1980 suburban, doent increase performance, just decreases the weight in your back pocket. So for me I'd say AC Delco or NGK...they both have platinum varieties but are much more practical..

jajehalbig

Reaction score
I've used plus four's and other "premium plugs" in a number of different vehicles; often comparing them to "basic" or oem type plugs. My opinion is to stick with the plug that's as close to mfg spec as possible. That's usually a cheaper A/C Delco type plug, but I've never seen any difference in changing to a premium plug. Cars run better with new plugs. How much you pay for them is up to you.