Brake Light out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

feehar

Reaction score
My middle brake light(the one at the top of tailgate) is out, and I was wondering if there is a way to fix it or do you have to replace the whole thing. I have a 2004 Tahoe. When I took the light off I couldn't see anywhere that the light can come apart the light is plastic welded together. Looking online the lights as a whole are around $150us which I think is a liitle costly. If someone might have come across this problem and knows a way to fix it would be greatly appreciated.

bamachevy89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had mine replaced under warranty right before my warranty expired in August on my '04 Tahoe. I took it to the Chevy dealership and they quoted me $145 for labor and the part, but I raised hell about it since it was under warranty and they did it for free.

feehar

Reaction score
thanks, mine went at around 2 months after warranty was up. A third brake light is not worth $150 to me.
Thanks for your reply.

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess you don't live in a state where you have to have your vehicles inspected in order to keep them on the road, and not get ticketed? Here in VA, a vehicle will FAIL a state safety inspection if a single light bulb is out... :eek:

BUT, it may be worth it to you to not fix it, even if you might get ticketed for a lapsed inspection. Many moons ago, I drove around for like 2.5 years with a dead inspection sticker because I could not afford to fix the electrical issue on an old '95 Chrysler Cirrus affecting one of the left tail light segments...only got ticketed once. Repair cost: $475.00 Ticket cost (at the time): $35.00 :D I had to pass inspection when I got rid of the car. What'd I do? Pulled the corresponding bulb on the right side, evened 'em out, and the inspector was like "Oh. Reflectors." :lol:

Good luck!

feehar

Reaction score
As long as I keep the truck it doesn't have to be inspected. Just mad because I think that they should have made the bulb so that you could at least change the mini bulbs in it.Just pissed that is all will look for a used one from a junkyard or something

feehar

Reaction score
I am in Canada, things are a little different here for safeties, only needed when buying and selling and I am not doing either

Paperman

Reaction score
I was just about to ask this question myself. Me 3rd light is out and I was going to call a few junk yards in my area to see if I can get a used one. It has to be a lot cheeper that the $150 new from the Dealer.